OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Face Mask & Foggy Glasses

Started by TLSelf, April 08, 2020, 09:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLSelf

It seems I've finally graduated to progressive lenses to help these old eyes to see, and every time I pull up the face mask on these cool mornings the lenses immediately fog up.   I hate contacts and I hate face paint.  Any of my fellow, "four-eyed" turkey hunters have any tips to keep the glasses fogging up when using a face mask?   

Old Timer

That`s always a battle. Try to keep your head cool and don`t get over heated. Anti fog for optics will help. One brand name is cat crap. Hope this helps.

Nathan_Wiles

Tight behind the lenses helps some. Im using the nomad loose gaiter up behind my glasses this and they dont fog as bad as some I've tried. I also clean mine with a lenses cleaner before I leave the truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

A big help will be to pull the mask right below the nose not over it— sounds simple but will help tremendously!! I wrestle with glasses as well!! with head down on gun it won't be a problem just hold still

wvmntnhick

Don't wear one. Problem solved. If they'll walk up to you in rifle season wearing blaze orange, I doubt not wearing a face mask is gonna hurt. I stopped wearing one when I wore glasses for the same reasons mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jester87

Quote from: Wigsplitter on April 08, 2020, 09:25:11 PM
A big help will be to pull the mask right below the nose not over it— sounds simple but will help tremendously!! I wrestle with glasses as well!! with head down on gun it won't be a problem just hold still

Wear below the nose, use an open mouth mask, or find a very breathable mesh to help eliminate fogging. The bigger challenge is keeping the suns glare off the glasses, light reflection will give away your position. 

1iagobblergetter

I went to the 3/4 el cheapo H.S.Strut mask years ago and that seemed to help a bunch.

Prohunter3509

4 eyed hunter here lol
I wear a ol Tom boonies hat face mask is in hat fits real loose
No fogging up here been wearing it for years

mossyoakpro

I just read today that cleaning your glasses with shaving cream will keep them from fogging...it was an article on folks wearing the protective masks these days and wearing glasses.

Don't have any idea if it works but maybe Google it and see what you can find??

Best of luck!!
Phillippians 4:13

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Old Timer on April 08, 2020, 09:15:39 PM
That`s always a battle. Try to keep your head cool and don`t get over heated. Anti fog for optics will help. One brand name is cat crap. Hope this helps.
I bought some Cat Crap last year, seemed to help a little but there is always fogging, yet to find a mast that will help. I bought the Mossy Oak Neck Gaiter and the Mossy Oak Mesh Facemask over the weekend and they were both useless because they fit my head so tight the were cutting into the bags of my eyes and messing with my vision not to mention they hurt to wear. I have a very big head, now two ways about it and I have struggled with almost every face mask I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of them. I have the Ol' Tom Boonie mentioned above, also to tight and I have the biggest size they make, mine still has the tags on it, got it in the mail, tried it on and it also cut into the bags under my eyes. Only paint I have ever found that would not run off my face was the old Fred Bear face paint, have fun finding that anymore.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gooserbat

OP I have one of the bunker head mask that was made a few years back.  Supposed to be really good for guys wearing glasses.  Actually just run across it a couple days ago.  If someone wants it we can figure out some way to get it there. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 08, 2020, 11:13:36 PM
OP I have one of the bunker head mask that was made a few years back.  Supposed to be really good for guys wearing glasses.  Actually just run across it a couple days ago.  If someone wants it we can figure out some way to get it there.

If OP does not want it please let me know.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gooserbat

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 08, 2020, 11:17:21 PM
Quote from: Gooserbat on April 08, 2020, 11:13:36 PM

If OP does not want it please let me know.

Will do
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GobbleNut

I know the problem well,...have dealt with it hunting for going on 60 years now.  I finally just gave up and now always carry a lens cloth in my pocket.  When my glasses fog up, I clean them.  There are those rare times when a gobbler is getting close and my glasses try to fog,...and then things get tricky fast.

As for the facemask/face-paint debate, I often use neither and I have learned to keep my face the least exposed as possible by pulling my cap down and getting down on the gun tight when the moment of truth arrives. 

In case of doubt, I also always wear camo gloves and use my left (off) hand to cover my face if I think it is needed.  A camo-gloved hand on your face will cover up a lot of potential ills.  In addition, your gloved fingers can sort of act as windshield wipers if the fog monster rears his ugly head at just the wrong moment. 

TRG3

In the last few years, I've started carrying a camo netting that's about 3' high and 9' long which is supported by a short pole on either end and one in the middle. I set this up in a semi-circle around my ground lounger which allows me to make any motions I want behind it as well as duck down below the rim, eliminating the need for a face mask thus avoiding the fogging problem with my glasses. With my decoys out in front for the gobbler to focus on, I can lay my friction call down and pick up my shotgun without ever spooking the tom.