OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TSS Question?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Cutt

• The Boss Gobbler
TSS Question?
« on: April 07, 2020, 08:11:34 PM »
This is the first time I shot TSS, Fed. 20 gauge, 3in 1.5 oz., from my new sa-459, finally got a chance to shoot it, temp was around 53 degrees.

Just curious if TSS drops that much? As comparing my 30 yard target to my 40 yard target? Aimed at the same spot on both where the orange sticker is on the 40 yard target, but was the sticker was shot off the 30 yard target.

Anyways,  was curious if this lower hit at 40 is due to drop, as compared to 30? we're talking 10yards, and wasn't sure if it really would be noticeable like the target shows, or just an off shot on my part?  Don't believe I pulled it, as I would guess a pulled hit would go higher, and as I had a couple 40 yard targets similar? Still going to shoot another day and make a final tweak if needed?

This was with a Carlson's .565 which I liked better than the .575 and the .565 held around a 9in circle at 20 yards.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:26:44 PM by Cutt »

Offline CALLM2U

Re: TSS Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 08:48:14 PM »
I may be me, but I don't see a big difference in impact between the two.  If you're shooting a bead, certainly within the margin of error as they're not precise aiming devices. 

I shoot the same load and I use the same POA from 20 to 40 and I'm shooting a 575 if that helps.

(FYI, you said "656" which is a 12g choke)

Offline Cutt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 09:30:31 PM »
Sorry meant .565, just liked it better than the .575

No, not a lot of difference but at 40 as compared to 30, the top of the pattern at 40 is a bit lower, and just wondered if the little difference could be drop? And I was using a reflex sight too, I guess seeing the whole paper would show better, but the few bb's above the head at 40, is the top of the pattern pretty much.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:45:07 PM »
thats not much drop and would be pretty normal

in a 21" barrel, the Fed. 20ga. 3" HVWT #7 load sighted in for the center of pattern to hit dead on at 40yds the center of the pattern dropped 4" at 55yds.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 11:17:06 PM »
I would shoot a couple more of those shells to get a better sampling. Only makes sense that there could be some drop. Perhaps shooting at 50 or 60 will give you a better idea of how your TSS is performing. Either way both shots are killers. Personally I hold just a tad high on a 40 or 50 yard shot although I seldom shoot that far unless field shooting.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Cutt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 07:55:26 PM »
Yeah, I'll have to shoot a few more, but was just curious?

Being I never shot TSS before, and never noticed a difference shooting Hevi or Lead, Although with Hevi and lead I just used open sights, whereas with the TSS setup I'm using a reflex sight with much more precise aiming too.

Offline Fullfan

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 08:20:47 AM »
Been hand loading and shooting my 20's with TSS 9's for the past 6 years. I use two loads that have been chronoed at 1099 and 1250. I do not see and difference in point of impact out to 55 yds. I have not shot them any further.
Don't gobble at me...

Offline Red Huck

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »
Shooting off a rest? Looks like your aim could easily be off a fraction. Both killer patterns anyway!