OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NWTF Spring Turkey Safety----Good Advice

Started by idgobble, April 07, 2020, 04:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

No matter how many safety articles are published every year there will always be hunting "accidents". I use quotes because many aren't accidents and are actually a predictable certainty. ( I once got rear-ended by a young driver who said, "It was an accident!  I was just looking at that girl on the sidewalk.") Here's a reminder from NWTF. Anyone see any stupid actions so far this Spring? https://www.nwtf.org/hunt/article/spring-turkey-safety?fbclid=IwAR3_YnAnR5Nr1zOxpX4jTYiAPKmPQfbKYnXmjtJhMrcbsUl93pdKY8NX5ZM

Greg Massey

Haven't heard of any accidents in my area. Yes please be safe everyone ...

mudhen

I see guns pointed at people in many pics...

Many get defensive and say "I checked the gun myself"...

While this is great, it's really not the issue...

The issue is that new/unexperienced hunters may see these pics and try to imitate the pic...

The "newbie" may not possess the safety skills of those with more experience...

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Tunaguy

When I was a kid duck hunting with my Dad he would ask me every 1/2 hour if I checked my safety. Last year I was sitting in my set up and looked down and my safety was off. Don't know how but that's how accidents happen. Stay safe people!
" I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." Groucho Marx

Sir-diealot

A few years ago a friend of mine took his younger brother on his first turkey hunt (Both teenagers) For some reason the older brother went ahead to scout for turkeys and left the younger brother sitting there.

Some time later the younger brother is still sitting against a tree and sees something coming at him, he thought it was a turkey and shot his brother square in the face and neck. Luckily the older brother had a cell phone with him (He later got chastised by the church as people in his religion are not supposed to own them) if he did not have it he would have died. His little brother had to run to the road which was over a mile away to show the ambulance where his brother was, I can not even begin to imagine the terror that was going though his mind when he left his brother there. Then ended up flying him out of the because of the remoteness of the location and he spent a over a week in the hospital. That was about 6 or 7 years ago and the one that was shot still has to go in to be checked every so often for I think it is lead content in the blood and to be sure the pellets that were left in him have not shifted. The one and only good thing that did come out of it is nobody knew how poorly the kid was seeing at the time, it was discovered he had very poor vision and never complained about it, I guess when they did get him glasses he could not believe the leaves in the trees were separate pieces, the way he had always seen them was as one big blob and all the other things he could now see with glasses.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."