OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Red dot?? when to turn on? how long batteries last?  (Read 6374 times)

Offline Bobby5

Red dot?? when to turn on? how long batteries last?
« on: April 07, 2020, 10:14:28 AM »
 I think im gonna go red dot but had a few questions? When do you guys turn your red dot on when hunting? How long do the batteries last? I figured id get excited if i shot a turkey and forget to turn the thing off for hours and the next time i use it would be dead thats my only fear with a red dot.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Red dot?? when to turn on? how long batteries last?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:42:29 AM »
I turn mine on when I get out of my vehicle in the morning and turn it off when I return.
I hunt every day of the Spring season (5 weeks) and pretty much every day of the Fall one (one week).
My battery usually lasts all Spring and almost all of the Fall season. No need to worry about battery life. My reflex sight (Burris Fast Fire III) gives you warning when the battery is getting weak. It starts blinking on and off I think three hours before battery goes dead.
No need to worry about battery life...That and I do carry an extra battery in my vest in case, late season, the one that's in there runs low.
If you're particularly anal about it, you could put a new battery in each season. They're not that expensive.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 12:19:20 PM »
Looking at Burris and Vortex information and they both have the auto setting for brightness so that issue not a deciding one. They both have a forever warranty also.
Burris claims weather resistant. Vortex water proof, (I've never had an issue with Burris even in a downpour).
The multicoating on the lens on Burris is between two pieces of glass. Vortex is on the lens surface. That could be an issue.
Burris operating temp. is -10 to 130...Vortex 22 to 122. For turkey hunters that should be a non issue except if you're out west early, that 22 degrees on the Vortex might be on the edge of it's capability.
Vortex has ten brightness settings in manual mode and an auto setting. Burris has 3 manual and an auto. I normally use the auto only on my Burris. I question the value of 10 settings.
Weight, .9 oz. for Burris, 1.1 oz. for Vortex. No real difference there.
Both have top load battery. That's an important feature since you don't need to take the sight off of the firearm to replace battery.
Pricewise. The Burris lists for $299. It sells for around $236. The Vortex lists for $329 and sells for around $229, so no significant difference there.
So, there's the comparison. Both great sights. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 12:33:13 PM »
Go aimpoint and you’ll never have to worry about it. The battery life is insane and the sight is tough as nails. I use an aimpoint 9000sc and love it. You can leave it on and never turn it off, and the battery will still last over a year from what I understand, maybe longer. I still turn mine off when not hunting. I just changed the battery for the first time after hunting with it for two years. Not because they were dead, just as a precaution. They’re pricey but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline rt2bowhunter

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 04:31:35 AM »
I have used red dots off and on for many years from EoTech to some really cheap sights. I always start the season with fresh batteries. Most of the time i didn't turn the red dot on until the shot was present or i saw or heard it coming in. Now were dating back some 40 plus years. So many of the red dots i used wasn't what we have today.

I just bought a Burris FF3 my plan is to just turn it on this spring once i start calling.  It auto goes off after 12 hours and blinks once the batteries are low. My EoTechs dlinked as well when you first turned them on.

I have never had a red dot go dead while hunting. If i ever forgot to turn them off i replaced the batteries just to be safe.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 07:46:49 AM »
I had the same concern when I purchased my Red dot 12 seasons ago.  I turn mine on as soon as I get set up and it gets turned off when I return to the truck, when I put the gun away.  I hunt about 90% of our 5 week spring season.  When the season is over, I discard the battery and a new one goes in the next spring (I don't want to leave it in the Red dot and possibly have leakage).  Batteries are cheap and can be found almost any where.  These batteries probably have thousands of hours in them but that is my policy.  I have never had a problem.

Offline CALLM2U

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 09:11:56 AM »
I had the same concern when I purchased my Red dot 12 seasons ago.  I turn mine on as soon as I get set up and it gets turned off when I return to the truck, when I put the gun away.  I hunt about 90% of our 5 week spring season.  When the season is over, I discard the battery and a new one goes in the next spring (I don't want to leave it in the Red dot and possibly have leakage).  Batteries are cheap and can be found almost any where.  These batteries probably have thousands of hours in them but that is my policy.  I have never had a problem.

This is exactly what I do, to the "T". 

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 09:58:57 AM »
I just read on the Leupold website that their Red Dot sight will last 1000 hours illuminated on 4 with a illumination range of 0 to 8 with a new battery.  This means, we could get several seasons of use from one battery, at low illumination.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 11:12:02 AM »
I have a Trijicon dual illumination. It’s fiber optic. Never needs batteries. Not cheapest option though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2020, 01:24:36 PM »
I have several red dot sights.  I turn mine on when I get a bird talking.  It stays on until I kill him or he walks away.  Never had a battery go dead on me.  I do carry an extra in my vest.  I put a new battery in each sight before season. They will dim before they stop working.  It's not like they work one minute and are stone dead the next.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 01:39:52 PM »
Something I forgot to mention. There is an auto shut off on Fast Fire if you forget to turn them off...

Offline turkey_picker

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2020, 11:14:02 PM »
Turn on my EOTech as leave my truck. Auto shut off will be either 4 or 8 hours, depending on which button you turn sight on with. Batteries 2(AA) will last 600 hours on mid rang setting. I put new batteries in start of season and they last all season.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
I have Holosun on my AR.  As soon as I pick up gun it comes on, shuts off after no movement.

I have an old inexpensive one on a muzzleloader. I turn it on when I sit down and off when I stand up. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2020, 01:55:50 PM »
I turn it on when I sit down and turn it off when I move to a new spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2020, 12:37:57 AM »
I've used 3 different red dots before. Used the TruGlo Trubrite for 4-5 years & have one on my turkey gun now. The other 2 was an Ultra Dot & a Vortex Venom. Never had a battery problem period. The more expensive ones usually have a low battery warning & auto shutoff after an extended period of being on. The Truglo I use now will began to show signs of getting dimmer way before the battery goes out. Like on the lowest setting it may not show up so you will have to turn it up to the next brightness level. I can change out the battery quickly with no extra tools to carry around in my vest. I turn them on when I leave the truck & off when I return. I always carry some extra ones in my vest. You can get batteries cheap off Ebay or Amazon. There is way too much worrying about batteries on red dots. Just make a habit of turning it on when you load your gun & off when you unload.