OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey breasts  (Read 2813 times)

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Turkey breasts
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 12:20:38 AM »
I checked the salt to see if it had any odor and it did not. I have always added salt to my soak.  I’ve been doing it for 28 years. Lots and lots of delicious birds. I know I took great care of this one as well getting him dressed out quickly etc.  it just shocked me that the meat had an unpleasant pungent smell to it.
  What do you think your accomplishing by soaking the meat in Salt Water ?
Greg, that was just the way I was taught. Draw out the blood and some brine to the equation.
other than one initial soak to clean it up a little theres no reason to keep it in water in the fridge for days at a time. yes its going to spoil if you do that. Not saying yours is currently spoiled....but yes it will develop a stinch. Sadly ive done it....but I don't do that anymore. I clean it once, and either freeze it or cook it. Only time mine is soaking is if Im soaking it to make jerkey and that's only a 24hour soak in whatever im trying to flavor it with.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline dublelung

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 10:57:40 AM »
I don't soak mine at all unless it's very blood shot! I skin in, rinse in, and Ziplock it. I have noticed some turkeys have a different smell than others but unless it looks infected or has discoloration I eat it. I know several people who brine them, soak them, and do just like I and freeze them immediately unless eating in the next day or two. Do whatever you're comfortable with and enjoy the meal.

Offline Timmer

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 12:05:27 PM »
With the heavy shot of today, and the less defined patterning of my most recent shotgun (I've tried several chokes), I get more pellets in the meat these days than I used to.  If there is blood and feathers in the meat I have started soaking in salt water as that seems to get it cleaned out better than just water.  It also helps break down some of the yellow connective tissue that I try to pull or cut off.  I soak it for an hour or two.  I do not soak it overnight.  I did so once and the meat was tasteless mush.  Maybe I used too much salt or something.

As far as the smelly meat, if you are confident it smells different than all the other turkeys you have taken, I would think there is something wrong with it and I would throw it out.  As I tell people when they express shock that I often fish and throw them back...I don't need to eat the basketball to enjoy the game!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:37:01 PM by Timmer »
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »
Shot a bird down in a swamp once, as soon as I took the meat out it smelled just like the nasty water he lived around which has never been the case before. i tried to cooking it as turkey bbq and even through the sauce it was rough and we didn't finish. Only thing I could think was that he had gotten a wound that punctured his skin enough for that foul water got in and soaked into the meat but not bad enough a wound for me to see any trauma at the date of harvest or kill him.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 10:12:42 PM »
I never soak my turkey breasts. I rinse them thoroughly to get off dirt, feathers, down, and any blood from stray pellets. After I've cleaned it, they get vacuum sealed and put in the freezer so my wife, Paula Dean Jr., can make homemade turkey pot pies. They are to DIE for!!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 11:52:24 PM »
Stupid question, but I seem to remember something about soaking it in buttermilk, I think it was supposed to make it more tender. Anybody know what I may be thinking of? I could well have the wrong meat.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 11:57:55 PM »
Stupid question, but I seem to remember something about soaking it in buttermilk, I think it was supposed to make it more tender. Anybody know what I may be thinking of? I could well have the wrong meat.
yeah when you are about to fry them up. let them sit in buttermilk.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."