OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey breasts  (Read 2802 times)

Offline 5arraquiver

Turkey breasts
« on: April 06, 2020, 06:39:40 PM »
My daughter harvested a monster Tom on Saturday.  This was a very old bird. With that being said, I took the bird home right away and cleaned him. I soaked the breast meat in salt water for about a full day and night changing the water several times. The meat has been in the fridge and kept cold. I took the breast meat out to start cutting it into eating portions and it had a very unpleasant smell to it. Not what I would call spoiled or rancid. Just un appetizing for sure.  I’ve cleaned and eaten a bunch of turkeys. Not sure what to make of it.
Anyone have any experience with anything like this???
Questions? Answer: Jesus

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Turkey breasts
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 07:25:12 PM »
Fry it up. It’ll be fine. But, it you’re concerned, pitch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 08:18:22 PM »
There's no way your going to enjoy it once you get that thought in your head. Id hate to throw it away though,maybe cook and eat a small piece and if its ok make a gumbo or something.

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 09:01:53 PM »
try a brine

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 09:04:54 PM »
Interesting , i still would have to fry up few pieces , but i never soak mine in salt water , could the salt have gotten some kind of odor ?  Just always soak mine in cold water for about 3 days before processing ...

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 09:44:41 PM »
I never soak mine in salt. Just water for a day or 2 before frying it up. Has me curious as if the salt caused something like Mr. Greg said?
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline 5arraquiver

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 10:09:55 PM »
I checked the salt to see if it had any odor and it did not. I have always added salt to my soak.  I’ve been doing it for 28 years. Lots and lots of delicious birds. I know I took great care of this one as well getting him dressed out quickly etc.  it just shocked me that the meat had an unpleasant pungent smell to it. 

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 10:18:45 PM »
Doubt the brine had any effect.  I've never had it happen, but talked to a hunter down here in New Mexico that killed a turkey that evidently had a real taste for stinkbugs (pinacate beetles). Found a bunch of them in the crop.  Said the meat was so foul smelling he couldn't eat it.

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 10:19:46 PM »
Maybe it was that birds particular diet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 10:34:06 PM »
I checked the salt to see if it had any odor and it did not. I have always added salt to my soak.  I’ve been doing it for 28 years. Lots and lots of delicious birds. I know I took great care of this one as well getting him dressed out quickly etc.  it just shocked me that the meat had an unpleasant pungent smell to it.
  What do you think your accomplishing by soaking the meat in Salt Water ?

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 10:42:31 PM »
I've had a few that were taken care of right away and had a little funk. Turkeys kinda stink anyways. Wasn't concerned with spoilage so fried them up and they ate fine. Maybe it was in my head? Idk. Rule of thumb though if your in doubt pitch it out.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 10:43:31 PM »

It makes it taste just like chicken of the sea

Offline 5arraquiver

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 11:04:08 PM »
Greg, that was just the way I was taught. Draw out the blood and some brine to the equation.

Offline 5arraquiver

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 11:11:29 PM »
You got it Crow lol
It very well could have been his diet. Great points guys. I appreciate all the feedback.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 12:17:03 AM »
you know how people are with there game meats man....they destroy it with water.....
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."