OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Rossi vs. Stevens  (Read 4169 times)

Offline Curtdawg88

Rossi vs. Stevens
« on: April 06, 2020, 03:24:07 PM »
So I pulled off a turkey kill with my 6 year daughter without a blind the other day. Needless to say she is hooked! One of her classmates killed one this morning. Now she’s wanting to shoot one. I’m looking at the Rossi Turkey Tuffy .410 and the Stevens 301 .410. Scrolling through the posts here I see good about both of them and very little bad. Anybody have any insight on one vs. the other?  I will probably put a red dot sight on whichever I get. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
Re: Rossi vs. Stevens
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »
No experience with the Rossi. I purchased the Stevens for my grandson. I put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it. It's a little killer, just make sure to deep  clean the barrel before shooting.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline cuppednlocked

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 09:57:10 AM »
I have only held the Stevens, but I bought the Rossi Tuffy Turkey.

My son is 8.5 years old, I like the fact you can remove the stock spacer in the Rossi.  I didn't see any information about changing the LOP on the Stevens, but I don't think you can.  With the stock spacer removed he can get on the gun properly/comfortably.

I really don't have a complaint about the Rossi.  It doesn't seem like either would be a bad choice though.

Offline Curtdawg88

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 08:39:09 PM »
I have only held the Stevens, but I bought the Rossi Tuffy Turkey.

My son is 8.5 years old, I like the fact you can remove the stock spacer in the Rossi.  I didn't see any information about changing the LOP on the Stevens, but I don't think you can.  With the stock spacer removed he can get on the gun properly/comfortably.

I really don't have a complaint about the Rossi.  It doesn't seem like either would be a bad choice though.
Very good point about shortening LOP. Something I hadn’t considered. Thanks!

Offline Curtdawg88

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 08:39:59 PM »
No experience with the Rossi. I purchased the Stevens for my grandson. I put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it. It's a little killer, just make sure to deep  clean the barrel before shooting.
I have heard of deep cleaning a barrel before but don’t know what it means. Do you mind sharing? Or sharing a resource on this? Thanks!

Offline cuppednlocked

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:48:20 PM »
Deep cleaning and barrel polishing can be found at the top of the main gun forum.

Offline smj8322

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »
I bought the Stevens hoping my 6 yr old daughter would be able to shoot it and it's way too long for her.
 I believe the length of pull on that is around 13". I'm now looking into and most likely buying the Rossi turkey model because of the fact you can remove the spacer which I was told brings the LOP down to 11" which I think will work for her.    Hope this helps.