OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hunting/Topo Map apps  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Hunting/Topo Map apps
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 09:39:00 PM »
I have GaiaGPS and onX. Gaia is like Android and onX is like an iPhone. Meaning Gaia will do more but is slightly more difficult to use...but the stuff you do use day in and day out is just easier on onX. However, a recent complaint on onX is that they changed their aerial images partner and now (especially in the SE)  the aerial images is a summer image and it is all greened out so that you can't see two tracks, lanes, and features that used to be easier to see. This will likely be anywhere in the east. They say they are working on it. So who knows.

Offline PennBirdy

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 11:02:15 AM »
I use OnX and Topo Maps+. OnX gives landowner names and mailing address, but does cost a yearly fee.
I also use the free version of Topo Maps+, which uses the USGS maps for topography, which at times shows me more details.

With both apps, you can download maps to use while offline or don’t have service and both have aerial imaging as an option.
I do exactly this as well. OnX is great for finding public lands, but Topo Maps+ gives much better detail and often shows old Jeep trails and roads that OnX doesn’t in the topo realm. Plus it’s free! Highly recommend.

Offline mduncan

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 11:31:43 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 11:47:36 AM »
As cell service has improved in the more remote areas I hunt, I migrated to Huntstand and OnX. Each have their strengths. To pick one I think it would be OnX.

But for a free, easy to use app on the app store its really hard to beat "US Topo Maps" Even if you drop off a side hill into a hollow without any cell signal, you can still take a screen shot of the topo, and it doesn't cost a dime.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline CALLM2U

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2020, 12:13:06 PM »
I've been using OnX for a couple years now and love it.  It does everything I need it to do, and more. 

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
OnX changed hunting I love having the whole package.not only do I have the states I've been to marked up but I have potential trips ready to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2020, 12:16:28 PM »
I have Gaia and OnX. Much prefer Gaia. OnX is too 'cluttery' and runs slower on my phone and browser than Gaia. Gaia is cheaper too.