OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

It really is about the chase..... isn’t it?

Started by PEPPERHEAD, April 06, 2020, 08:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEPPERHEAD

I swore I wouldn't let it ever happen again but it has. He's gotten into my head. I've spent countless hours scouting. Walked mile after mile to find him on Georgia public land. He lives on the top of a mountain 3 miles in. I've been so close a time or two. His hens keep saving him. Now he's gotten into my head. Everyone keeps asking "you haven't killed a turkey yet"? I could pull off of him and go hunt some private land where hunting seems much easier. I just can't. We've started the dance..... got to finish it.

NC pine chicken

Keep chasing. I'm the worst for getting hung up on one bird and spending the whole season trying to figure out what it'll take to make him die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

callmakerman

Got to finish it but it doesn't hurt to pull off a day or two and hunt some birds that like tp play. How many tags do you get. With two here in NY I can do that but with a bird like that in my head I want him and will hunt him plenty. I love the chess match.

Harty

We all know that patience and persistence pay off so keep after him. Once a bird like that gets in ones head it's hard to pull off, but sometimes a days break as mentioned is good . And yes, everything that makes up the chase is what makes Turkey hunting special. Now go finish it and let us know when you do!

turkeymanjim

To me, it's all about tricking them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

strum

Im the same way . Once one gets in my head like that I cant go any where else. It becomes an obsession.

Tom007

Stay on him. He will slip up. When you get him, you will be proud...
"Solo hunter"

reflexl

I have one the same way. I have been chasing him since last year. Killed 5 nice birds trying to kill him. I haven't given up on  him. Even named him Kevin after one of my buddies. Watched him yesterday. You have to do what satisfies you.

Hobbes

Devil birds :angry9:

It's been awhile but I've lost sleep and burned tags on birds like that.  The worst part is when you finally think you have them nailed down and tomorrow will finally be the day..........then they disappear never to be heard from again.

Happy

I dunno, I have started having a hard time pulling the trigger on the tough ones. They used to get under my skin but anymore I kinda solute them and back off a bit. They have made it so far and almost seems a shame to end it for them. Maybe I am just getting old and soft or maybe i just dont like getting embarrassed time after time.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

JeffC

Its all about the passion for the hunt. If it was easy every time, I for one would not enjoy it nearly as much as I do. Its why I only bow hunt deer, only want to shoot a gobbler who plays the game, gobbles to my call, see him strut and comes to the call. As others have said, take a break, go hunt another, but don't give up on him. Good luck, looking forward to the story and pictures.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

reflexl

If it didn't get our blood pumping we would quit doing it.

guesswho

Oh yeah.   My kind of bird.   The ones that have made it personal and you love to hate.  I know from experience it is bitter sweet when the stars finally line up and you pull that trigger.   It will be exiting and fulfilling, but also a little sad knowing you will never hear him on that mountain again.   But I get over it pretty quick ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spitten and drummen

Hang tough. A hard won bird is more satisfying when you kill him than one that runs in and commits suicide.thats my opinion.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Marc

Had a couple of those birds...  They outsmart me over and over, and when I finally outsmart them, something happens (such as a coyote running them off).

On one bird I had a Homer Simpson (doh!) moment...  Describing how twice the bird came in on the other side of a rock pile or knoll in good range and never presented a shot...  My buddy asked "how come you did not just stand up and shoot?"
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.