OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mid day mid season gobbler  (Read 2654 times)

Offline Pluffmud

Mid day mid season gobbler
« on: April 06, 2020, 06:20:41 AM »
The birds are tight lipped right now. I found a lone gobbler 15 yards off the road on a piece of property when I was driving in my truck around noon. He didn't seem to be spooked by the truck. I was thinking about setting up where I saw him and simply waiting him out. Will he be a creature of habit and come to the same area around the same time, or am I wasting my time? I normally don't hunt birds "like deer," in the sense of sitting and waiting where they travel.
Psalm 46:10

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Mid day mid season gobbler
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 08:39:04 AM »
My personal approach in your situation would be to hit that area at first hint of daylight in the morning to see if he gobbles and if so, try him then.  If I couldn't strike up a conversation with him in the morning, I would give it a go like you are thinking about if I didn't have other options.  There is no loss in trying...

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 12:49:15 PM »
I think a lone bird looking for a hen is less likely to be in the same spot on the same route day after day.

But, I hunted some birds I had roosted yesterday, and they gobbled to some coyotes on the limb, and then proceeded to ignore a group of hens on the ground near them???  Oddly, there have been these two groups of birds (7-8 hens and 5-6 toms/jakes) roosting near each other with little interest in each other???

Anyways, after those toms/jakes were on the ground, they did not talk, and meandered past just out of range.

So, I picked up and moved to a spot I had seen a lone bird walking mid morning.  Did a bit of light clucking walking the last few yards to where I was setting up, and he hammered back.  He came in at a run and went home on a drive.

I would much rather hunt some roosted birds, and if you are not successful go hit that spot where you saw the lone tom...  I'd be there an hour or so before you saw him.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 01:50:35 PM »
Years ago in MO I saw a bird late morning on public ground ,while heading to another spot. I set up where he was the day before and watched in amazement as he was hard gobbling on private land, ran across the road and come up to strut between the two big oaks where I saw him ,gobbling the whole way. I wasn't going to call but couldn't help myself. Then silence. I saw a glimpse of red head and heard a putt as he was headed out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 03:24:55 PM »
The birds are tight lipped right now. I found a lone gobbler 15 yards off the road on a piece of property when I was driving in my truck around noon. He didn't seem to be spooked by the truck. I was thinking about setting up where I saw him and simply waiting him out. Will he be a creature of habit and come to the same area around the same time, or am I wasting my time? I normally don't hunt birds "like deer," in the sense of sitting and waiting where they travel.

Maybe, maybe not ( how`s that for profound insight ! ). What you`re describing is a lot like afternoon hunting. They don`t talk much, if at all, in the PM and sometimes all you have go on is that they`re USUALLY nearby. Takes lots of patience, the physical ability to sit REAL still for a protracted period of time,  and a great love for all things in the woods besides turkeys ( cause you`ll probably see a lot! ).

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 07:06:09 AM »
Being a "road bird" he may have heard enough trucks drive up and stop followed by a string of yelps and cuts. Park far enough away he doesn't hear the vehicle...and that doesn't mean two hundred yards.

I was working such a bird one year, and he was really hammering. Vehicle came along and did as above. He totally shut down. After the vehicle left I waited a few minutes and called again...he went back to gobbling.

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 09:38:07 AM »
Thanks for the insight guys. Ill let you know what happens Thursday.

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 09:53:48 PM »
Well I got there early Thursday and sat tight. I was about 200 yds in from the road, in an area I thought would be suitable near where I saw him. I sat from 5:30am to 2:30pm. He was a no show. And a no gobble. There was a lot of traffic into and out of the WMA and I heard at least 3 shots that morning. BUT, I started from square one and drove to a neighboring WMA, did a lot of homework for two days, and ended up finishing the hunt with a nice 2ish year old bird at 7:07am Saturday morning, so it all worked out.

Offline Mossyguy

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 10:03:06 PM »
Next time that happens if you’re able I’d try to hunt him as soon as you see him. A friend and I were headed home after a morning hunt and saw a gobbler about 50 yards off the road. We went down the road a bit and got about 250 yards in front of him. It took less than 10 minutes for him to get to us and peek over the hill where I was calling and my buddy smacked him.

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »
Next time that happens if you’re able I’d try to hunt him as soon as you see him. A friend and I were headed home after a morning hunt and saw a gobbler about 50 yards off the road. We went down the road a bit and got about 250 yards in front of him. It took less than 10 minutes for him to get to us and peek over the hill where I was calling and my buddy smacked him.
This advice is spot on. If I’m hunting and see a bird in my truck, and he doesn’t fly off, just keep driving normally and don’t slow down or stop. Chances are he won’t walk very far, just ease out of the field when he sees the truck. Drive past him about 300 yards, then make a circle around him and set up in the direction you saw him go. Give it ten or fifteen minutes for him to settle down, and just start soft calling, clucks and yelps with a little purring and leaf scratching. Chances are he will run you over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion