Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any experience with Remington Straight Rifled choke?

Started by rich870, April 05, 2020, 01:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rich870

I just bought one because it was cheap. I'd try it myself but I'm locked down 1000 miles from my 870 and the range is closed.  These any good? It's got straight rifling and a couple concentric grooves

agent eight seven O

"1000 miles from my 870"      That sounds like a great country song.

I came across a Straight Rifled tube last year. I have been shooting Super x 3" #5 out of 21 inch barrel 870. Been testing a few different chokes. Now my distance is only 30 yards. Chokes tested were, Ventilator, Kick's .655, Jellyhead, Indian Creek, Rem. extra full, and the Straight Rifled. The Straight Rifled produced the best patterns for me. Although, as you all know, at 30 yards they will all work.

longislandloco

Straight rifled, a new one on me, always willing to learn something new to me!
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Bowguy

I'm reading beteeen the lines. Rifles chokes are for slugs, straight means no choke??

WildTigerTrout

Yes.  I have one though I have not used it in a while.  Back in 2000 I killed a big tom with my Remington 870 SM with Remington's Straight Rifled Turkey Choke.  Mine patterned the best with the old Federal Premium 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz. #4 shot.  It is the only gobbler I have killed to this day that went right down where it stood and never moved a muscle! Did not even disturb the dry leaves it was standing on. Killed him at 35 yards.  That combo was and is I am sure still deadly.   :OGturkeyhead:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

MK M GOBL

I have a Briley Straight Rifled Choke in my Rem 11-87, been shooting same choke for 25 years. I started with Federal #5's and patterned great. Since then Federal Changed their ammo and I changed to Winchester HV#5's and works!! Only thing to think about is that there are certain wad types you cannot shoot through this choke.

MK M GOBL

owlhoot

I can't remember all the loads i shot through mine. But do remember those  Kent turkey loads in 5's working OK, when in other chokes they did not. 

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: MK M GOBL on April 05, 2020, 08:05:22 PM
I have a Briley Straight Rifled Choke in my Rem 11-87, been shooting same choke for 25 years. I started with Federal #5's and patterned great. Since then Federal Changed their ammo and I changed to Winchester HV#5's and works!! Only thing to think about is that there are certain wad types you cannot shoot through this choke.

MK M GOBL

I'm curious, what wad types do you avoid?
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com