only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the best tick repellent

Started by kyturkeyhunter4, April 04, 2020, 11:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kytomgetter

Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent with Permethrin

mhamby

Permethrin for your clothing, something deet free for your skin.
I treat my clothing diligently and make sure to change out of them before entering my truck after each hunt.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

SteelCityArcher

Quote from: Bowguy on April 05, 2020, 11:51:42 AM
I disagree w the sawyers though. Get the concentrate from tractor supply. It mixes w water and even comes w a mixer. For 10 bucks a small bottle you'd use it many years. 1 oz makes a gallon mix. I've used mine years and think I made 2-3 oz.  most of the original bottle is still here. Put in in a spray bottle. Got mixes for other things/animals as well. Recipes on bottle

I didn't know this. Great info. Thanks!
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

TRG3

My tick repellent is also permethrin. I agree with Bowguy in purchasing it via a tractor supply or ag store. A bottle will last a long time and I've been using it for at least 10 years on my outer hunting clothes. In addition, my beagles had an infestation of fleas last summer and I sprayed them with the same mixture (2 oz. permethrin in one gallon of water) and the fleas disappeared. It's good stuff and a lot cheaper than the store-bought stuff.

Mossberg90MN

I use sawyers... ticks never seem to be an issue for me. Seems like things might be different this year due to the mild winter and warmer spring temps. But still sawyers all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tracker#1

Last year I was bitten 3 times, embedded, once already this year. So after reading this thread, I ordered some permethrin 10% concentrate to soak my clothes and gear in. I did some research after on Google and Youtube also. Google "Section Hikers" backpacking guide blog, found it informative. Also on YouTube, a person did his own research on 10% vs 36% and the amount of washings test. To me, the SFR is more effective scoring to his results. One washing after using the 10% wouldn't kill an ant.

kyturkeyhunter4

Thanks for the info guys. Where do you buy permethrin at

bbcoach

Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on April 09, 2020, 02:37:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Where do you buy permethrin at
Internet (Martins 10%), Tractor Supply carries it in the pet / cattle section, I get mine at my local Garden Supply store.  You should be able to get it locally as this is used for dipping dogs for fleas and ticks.

Turkeytider

Picked up a tick in DECEMBER here in Georgia! Going tomorrow. Ypu can bet my gear and clothes just got a dose of Sawyer`s! Most dangerous thing in the woods is tinier than the end of your little finger!

Happy hooker

So,,,this sawyers is a concentrate bottle that you mix right with water in your own spray bottle,,sounds a lot less expensive that way

tracker#1

Happy Hooker, I don't believe Sawyers,5%, is a concentrate. The product I purchased was Martins 10% which is concentrated, on Amazon. It's water-based, not petroleum. It was $26 TYD. I have used Sawyers. Now going to field test the Martins. This is less expensive also. It says it last 28 days. It also says you get around 6 washings but I saw a YouTube video study debunk that. You should retreat after wash according to him.

Dtrkyman

I never wash my turkey hunting clothes in the spring, maybe a shirt if it gets sweated out but almost never my pants!  I re apply the sawyers a couple times each spring.

captpete

Quote from: Happy hooker on April 09, 2020, 07:24:29 PM
So,,,this sawyers is a concentrate bottle that you mix right with water in your own spray bottle,,sounds a lot less expensive that way

No, the Sawyers is pre-mixed, ready to use. Like posted above the Martin's 10% you can get on Amazon. The last time I bought it, it was around $30 for a quart bottle. The directions say to mix 1oz. concentrate to 19oz. water for .5%. I mix 1oz. to 18 oz. of water making it just a touch stronger than.5%. As you can see, a quart of concentrate will go a long ways.

Here is a link to what I buy on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076PXCSO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Meleagris gallopavo

I spray down our leafy suits, hats, mesh masks and boots with permethrin and don't wash them.  Never had any issues with ticks or mosquitoes.  I like the leafy suits because you can just slip them over anything you're wearing and you don't have to have much else in the area of specialized turkey clothing.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Ctrize