OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 870 express. apex gt-3 #9s  (Read 3584 times)

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
870 express. apex gt-3 #9s
« on: April 04, 2020, 09:21:48 PM »
Im sure a few of yal saw my post a couple months ago about the issues I was having with patterning even after a vast choke selection. I finally bit the bullet and tried 3 new things. One...my new apex shells came in. Fingers were crossed hoping the quality control would be better with no blow outs compared to the previous 2 years worth of apex. two...I purchased a flex hone kit. yes I know they are expensive and I already do the standard OG polishing procedure...but I must admit this is quicker and slightly better. Not so much on the barrel end but for sure on the forcing cone and chamber side of things. three...I found a sumtoy .660 choke. The only size I didn't have and it just simply put ,produced. I got 412 in the 10" circle at 40 verified yards. My gun produced this number rather consistently after a few shots, and the pattern was spaced better...not at blotchy. For whatever reason the wadding was stripped much sooner from this choke, with that said the wad was also stripped much cleaner with no petal damage or what not which is one thing I was experiencing with the 665. Im happy with it from a manufactured shell. I now have all the equipment necessary to reload, so I still fully plan on reloading and trying to improve a little further. I also have a second barrel ready to go same length same work done to it. My turkey season in Mississippi was finished a little over a week ago and with the current state of things it looks like ill have plenty of time to become proficient at reloading. Cant wait. 870 express, 21" barrel , lengthened forcing cone, sumtoy .660 2.25oz apex gt-3 #9a
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: 870 express. apex gt-3 #9s
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 09:22:18 PM »

Offline gtrjames

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 10:23:06 PM »
Very nice
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 11:38:31 AM by gtrjames »

Offline WorkingBirds

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
In your honest opinion, what is the maximum distance kill shot with your current setup? I haven't tried the apex but hear a lot about them, but the guys I hear from aren't patterning their guns, they just shoot em.

Online Borden811

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 08:43:19 PM »
In your honest opinion, what is the maximum distance kill shot with your current setup? I haven't tried the apex but hear a lot about them, but the guys I hear from aren't patterning their guns, they just shoot em.
40 yards

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 02:28:24 AM »
personally im not a turkey sniper. Ive never really pushed the limits. Ive killed turkeys at 50 yards with longbeard 6s ….not intentionally, I thought it was 40 ish and ranged it after the shot and it was 48-50. At the time of shooting 6s I was averaging about 230-240 pellets in a 10" circle at 40. Is this load capable of further...yes it is. If 6s can kill one at 50 accidentally then im sure tungsten 9s will , however.....Ive had a couple buddies who have shot birds between 60-70 yards with this same load of apex, and they were at a good rest took there time and tried to make a good shot....they didn't recover the birds. One of these guys actually rolled it, it got up and took off running and he rolled it a second time and then it took flight. That was 3.5s to not 3s.....so reguardless of what people claim they are shooting birds at I would not advise it. Both of these individuals had as good of patterns as mine and one was a good bit better. Too many things to go wrong. Ive heard some far out claims on kills with TSS 85 yards, 90 yards....they may be true but I can promise you one thing...its luck. I don't belive you could consistently do that. I also know a few people who have killed at 60 yards but you know what...the entire bird was covered in pellets. pieces of beard falling out , the whole 9 yards....I like my birds 20-40, and if im off a little bit say 50 I know im more than covered. That's just me.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 02:33:28 AM »
One more thing. I shoot an 8 MOA red dot. not a 3....and theres a reason for that. Because that dot helps me identify how far a bird really is . At 40 yards the dot will totally cover the birds head and waddle area. If my dot is covering more of the bird than this , I know hes too far.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 06:37:56 AM »
Great info, thanks for sharing........nice pattern......
“Solo hunter”

Offline WorkingBirds

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 09:44:38 AM »
personally im not a turkey sniper. Ive never really pushed the limits. Ive killed turkeys at 50 yards with longbeard 6s ….not intentionally, I thought it was 40 ish and ranged it after the shot and it was 48-50. At the time of shooting 6s I was averaging about 230-240 pellets in a 10" circle at 40. Is this load capable of further...yes it is. If 6s can kill one at 50 accidentally then im sure tungsten 9s will , however.....Ive had a couple buddies who have shot birds between 60-70 yards with this same load of apex, and they were at a good rest took there time and tried to make a good shot....they didn't recover the birds. One of these guys actually rolled it, it got up and took off running and he rolled it a second time and then it took flight. That was 3.5s to not 3s.....so reguardless of what people claim they are shooting birds at I would not advise it. Both of these individuals had as good of patterns as mine and one was a good bit better. Too many things to go wrong. Ive heard some far out claims on kills with TSS 85 yards, 90 yards....they may be true but I can promise you one thing...its luck. I don't belive you could consistently do that. I also know a few people who have killed at 60 yards but you know what...the entire bird was covered in pellets. pieces of beard falling out , the whole 9 yards....I like my birds 20-40, and if im off a little bit say 50 I know im more than covered. That's just me.

Thank you for your response. Just heard the claims of possibly killing birds at 75 or 80 yards. Some good info for trying to make mine pattern better.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 08:26:22 PM »
There are people killing at those distances....there are also people wounding at those distances. Its a gamble....that's all there is to it. Of course youll hear people say I know my gun is capable of it.....Unless you've killed 10 birds at 80 yards consistently ….then you in fact DO NOT know what your gun is capable of . I personally discourage it...reguardless of what the paper you punched looks like. That's just my opinion...people will do what they want.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 03:17:42 AM »

From the guys you're hearing that don't bother to pattern their guns and just shoot the Apex shells or ANY shells for that matter....IGNORE THEM! It's up to each and every one of us sportsmen/women to KNOW how your gun shoots,WHERE your gun shoots ,and especially the limitations of not only the weapon but the shooter as well. Far as how far can a person shoot? See above paragraph.

Offline WorkingBirds

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 04:58:22 PM »
Well said dz & Bink, that's good advice.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 06:19:58 PM »
What is your stock set? Looks like one I had been looking at. Does it have that odd hollow sound you get if a branch his it in the woods if you know what I mean? Thanks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2020, 06:56:14 PM »
And oh yea...heck of a great lookin gun!!!

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2020, 12:17:40 AM »
What is your stock set? Looks like one I had been looking at. Does it have that odd hollow sound you get if a branch his it in the woods if you know what I mean? Thanks.
its boyds laminate stock....nah man no sound out all. its rather dense, not noisy at all that ive noticed. Its not light though, it will increase the weight of your gun slightly.