OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Non resident search  (Read 6584 times)

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Non resident search
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 02:55:18 AM »
It all boils down too what is considered essential and non essential. To some Turkey hunting is a minor hobby that gives them something to do in the Spring. To others it is the biggest part of the year. If this was going on during deer season I’d be  asleep right now.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 04:08:39 AM »
It all boils down too what is considered essential and non essential. To some Turkey hunting is a minor hobby that gives them something to do in the Spring. To others it is the biggest part of the year. If this was going on during deer season I’d be  asleep right now.
Well put

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 05:17:53 AM »
We all can't hide in our caves like cavemen. This is getting absurd. Our economic system can not survive with a long term complete shutdown. I know some of our local businesses that will already not survive this.  :TrainWreck1:

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 05:56:34 AM »
People can’t do that. They’re all “special” and “entitled” to do whatever benefits them and screw trying to help someone else!
these times have really exposed a lot of people for who they really are...and im not talking specifically about somebody not wanting to lose an investment in making a trip to hunt....im talking society in general.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 06:00:24 AM »
We all can't hide in our caves like cavemen. This is getting absurd. Our economic system can not survive with a long term complete shutdown. I know some of our local businesses that will already not survive this.  :TrainWreck1:

I agree the show cant last forever....but making an out of state hunt isn't going to save the economy. neither is 1000 people making an out of state hunt. neither is 10,000 people making an out of state hunt.....but you know what 10,000 people making an out of state hunt can do.....you already know the answer to that. im not trying to convince people to not make a hunt....but what I don't understand is the people "not on this forum per say" who are getting belligerent about not being able to go....geezus man how bad does it have to get to even make people like that think about it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:08:58 AM by dzsmith »
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 06:06:04 AM »
An interesting way to think of it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2020, 06:36:39 AM »
If we could really see the germs in the air of our cities, we would honker down in the country for ever.. Here is my take on this situation. I live in Northern NJ and hunt Turkeys in my state, and NY. I drive less than 2 hr.s to my NY spot. I never stop for anything in NY on my hunt, it is 4:00 am when I get there, I usually leave by 10:30 am. I never let my gas go below half, so my tank is full before I go. We all owe to each other to be socially responsible during these times, whether we decide to stay at home and only hunt our own state. I hunt solo, my human interaction when I turkey hunt is non existent. I think turkey hunting is the safest thing we can do during this pandemic. I get it, my hunt does not require hotel stays, eating in the out of state places etc. The way I look at it, you have a better chance of causing social disorder regarding this doing local grocery shopping, or interacting with your neighbor on an outside (6 foot) chat. So we can’t beat each other up regarding whether or not someone opting to skip an out of state hunt or not is being selfish to society. I know for a fact that my 5-6 hour out of state hunt has a zero chance of me getting someone in their state sick. Just think, the NY hunters are welcome to hunt in NJ, I can only hope, and I do feel confident that they will respect this social epidemic like I promise to.  Thanks for listening, be safe...
“Solo hunter”

Offline Bearcat1997

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2020, 12:31:16 PM »
It sucks for the people who live on the border of two states and hunt both states. For example, I'm an Iowa resident but like to hunt Missouri as well. I live 5 minutes from the Missouri border. The place I hunt in Missouri is a 15 minute drive from my house. As a non-resident, I am more of a native to the area than 99% of Missouri. It's certainly a crazy spring.

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2020, 12:43:40 PM »
There seem to be two levels of inter state travel being talked about. The level that there is total preparation that there will not have to be any interaction, ie travel on one tank of gas, no need for food stops or any type of interaction. The second level would be where there is a need to interaction, out of state for several days and long distance so the need for food, gas, and possibly other type of interaction. The first type would seem to not pose much threat or no more threat than what your normal interaction would be going to the store. The exception being if you have a vehicle break down or involved in an accident. The second would pose a greater threat as you could be a carrier and or contract the virus in your travels and return it to your area. One of the concerns seems to be that rural areas are not as prepared to handle large numbers of ill people and will be overwhelmed if the virus takes hold it the area. Since most hunting situations are in rural areas it makes sense there would be concern in the more rural areas.. I live in a rural area and two weeks ago the virus was almost nonexistent here now it it is in all the counties there have been two deaths in the county to the north and the number of cases doubled in that county since yesterday. What all should be thinking is this virus has not peaked as of yet so it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

A question was asked if stopping an out of state plated car was profiling and it is not because it is based on a specific observable criteria. An example of profiling would be stopping every 4X4 truck because hunters usually drive that type of vehicle and hunters are the targeted group. That is the basic idea anyway. 

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2020, 12:13:24 PM »
If we could really see the germs in the air of our cities, we would honker down in the country for ever.. Here is my take on this situation. I live in Northern NJ and hunt Turkeys in my state, and NY. I drive less than 2 hr.s to my NY spot. I never stop for anything in NY on my hunt, it is 4:00 am when I get there, I usually leave by 10:30 am. I never let my gas go below half, so my tank is full before I go. We all owe to each other to be socially responsible during these times, whether we decide to stay at home and only hunt our own state. I hunt solo, my human interaction when I turkey hunt is non existent. I think turkey hunting is the safest thing we can do during this pandemic. I get it, my hunt does not require hotel stays, eating in the out of state places etc. The way I look at it, you have a better chance of causing social disorder regarding this doing local grocery shopping, or interacting with your neighbor on an outside (6 foot) chat. So we can’t beat each other up regarding whether or not someone opting to skip an out of state hunt or not is being selfish to society. I know for a fact that my 5-6 hour out of state hunt has a zero chance of me getting someone in their state sick. Just think, the NY hunters are welcome to hunt in NJ, I can only hope, and I do feel confident that they will respect this social epidemic like I promise to.  Thanks for listening, be safe...
Well put...It’s about personal responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2020, 03:46:16 PM »
The problem a lot of states are running into with N/R hunters is the locals. We just had to cancel our KS and NE trip due to the locals looking for out of state plates. Don't want to lose all of the long time leases for this.

And you Know this or Heard this???? SO far I and others I know have crossed lines in several different states!

Not only has nobody been puled over we haven't even seen someone pulled over! We are being bull shi**** into believing things like a bunch of sheep. I believe they know they really have minimum standings lawfully to do most of this lock down stuff so they are making statements on the news just hoping it stops people from seeing if its real or not! Just think for yourself for a second, we need to quarantine ourselves, yet the people locked up and in quarantine already need to be released from jail as convicted criminal? On top of that we letting them out but gonna charge people for driving to go hunting?? COME ON PEOPLE

If you live for turkey seasons, please get out there and hunt and enjoy YOUR life while we living. Us going hunting isn't gonna wipe out the country. Or if it makes you feel better stay home and hide from the boogey man  until it passes, your choice

Remember the chain of events. First, its just a cold and not coming here, Then its here but no big deal, then its a big deal and we must do something or we all gonna die, then we nearing the end and hope to open back up for Easter, then one week later we need to prepare for hundreds of thousands of deaths in the U.S., then just days later we think we stabilizing again. this may be big but the news is making it out to be a nuclear attack

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2020, 05:58:37 PM »
Bah,bah ,bah where’s my gubment check I need more TP for my fort lol.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline brittman

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2020, 06:57:31 PM »
I will hunt turkeys in my home state of Minnesota.   I hunt with an hour of my house.   I have a private spot 15 minutes from my home where my son hunts (I help with blinds, calls, etc).   Hunting is for youth only with this landowner.

If the both states lift the "stay at home" order I will hunt WI.   WI is private land 18 miles from my door.  I expect the stay at home order to be lifted in both states on May 1st.   

I do not believe it is very responsible right now to go over to WI and even scout right now with stay at home orders in-place in both states.  Birds will have repositioned anyways over the next month.

It is one season and I have killed plenty of turkeys.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2020, 07:23:18 PM »
I’ve shutdown down turkey hunting because my local spots are closed.

I live in Florida, my town is over run with northeast refugees. People who’ve fled their “stay at home” states.

I don’t like it because these people will fill up our hospital beds before the locals get sick and need them. They’ve also spread the virus to more people that would not have caught the virus if they didn’t come.

So I’m not going to travel to another town to subject them to what is happening to my town. I don’t have that level of hypocrisy or selfishness in me.

If by some miracle things improve, stay at home orders are rescinded to the point I can travel to SD in May. Then I’ll go on my out of state turkey hunt.

If you can drive 2 or 3 hours to your hunting spot (in state or out). Then return home following all suggested safety guidelines. I don’t see any problem with this.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2020, 07:47:08 PM »
I agree. I have a 70 minute drive, easily done solo, no contact with anyone. I will adhere to all the social responsibilities including a camo hoodie and cotton face mask while in the woods. God bless everyone, be safe.....
“Solo hunter”