turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which one will deliver ?

Started by Canteathorns, March 15, 2014, 07:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canteathorns

I know everyone has an opinion on which is the best choke but humor me for a min . There is no substitute for patterning , but out of these chokes which one would you say would out do all the others ?      Tru glo  .643 - primrose tight wad  .660 - rem super full .665 or rem xtra full .689 . Shooting  fedral 3" thugs 6s  or winch double x 5s . What are your thoughts . Going to be patterning in a couple of days . Going to try to break that magical 100 in 10  everyone talks about .

Captaintopwater

Primos tightwad, don't forget the HS Strut Undertaker I've got several and they both shoot very good.

d.winsor

I don't know what kind of gun you have but out of my SX3 #5's would shoot best with the .665, and .660 for #6's, If I were you I'd shoot winchester long beards #5 or #6 I would still stay with the choke sizes mentioned and add one.  My SX3 with .665 choke shot so tight with Long beard #5's at 40 yards that I won't hunt with them with my set up.  If I were you I would try the .689 choke, it may open the patter up a bit which is what I would prefer.  If you like a tight pattern use the .665.  I would shoot the long beards first and you may not have to shoot the others.

Canteathorns

I shoot an 870 express mag with a carlsons 24" barrel . I saw long beards today but they were 20$ A box . Paid 10$ for thugs . I've heard good stuff about them both .

SCDieselDawg

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: Canteathorns on March 15, 2014, 07:07:12 PM
I know everyone has an opinion on which is the best choke but humor me for a min . There is no substitute for patterning , but out of these chokes which one would you say would out do all the others ?      Tru glo  .643 - primrose tight wad  .660 - rem super full .665 or rem xtra full .689 . Shooting  fedral 3" thugs 6s  or winch double x 5s . What are your thoughts . Going to be patterning in a couple of days . Going to try to break that magical 100 in 10  everyone talks about .

If those are the newer High Velocity double Xs, I've seen a lot of those shot in the past month through various setups and none touched 100

Canteathorns

I'll get a box and see . The stores here only have 5 shot no 6s yet are 5s patterning good for anyone ?

mightyjoeyoung

The Thugs WORK.  Period.  They are basically the old Strut Shok loads with a new box and look.  I see no reason why you can't break 100/10 with them.  My own personal choice would be the Remmy Ventilator.  Deep clean the barrel and try what you have.  The SSX (if that's what you have?) and the Tightwad sould run out at least 100/10 @ 40 yards.  I know there was a link posted here for the ventilator somewhere.  THAT would be the first choke I'd try in an 870.  As for the other guns being used?  Different guns and different bore diameters, so kinda USELESS info imo...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

d.winsor

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on March 15, 2014, 08:41:25 PM
Quote from: Canteathorns on March 15, 2014, 07:07:12 PM

If those are the newer High Velocity double Xs, I've seen a lot of those shot in the past month through various setups and none touched 100

No they are not the HV double X's they were purchased in 1992 they are winchester supreme High Velocity, Black shells with their name on them.  I don't think winchester makes them anymore.  Some people say they are rebranded HV double X's but they are not the same shell.  And in that 870 I would use a .665 choke a remington super full is a .665 choke if you have one.  I have a couple remingtons and .665 in them will run about anything in #5's.  Good Luck

Longshanks

The XX 3/2/5's and XX 3/2/6's (Red Shell) are the best patterning lead shells out of my Remington 870's. The best choke for shooting 5's has been the Rem Super Full .665 and the best choke for shooting the lead 6's has been the Ventilator .655. The new XX HV 1 3/4 5's and 6's shoot decent hunting patterns but not the best compared to the Win shells of the past. However, my Rem 870SM will shoot the entire pattern of the new XX HV 3" 5's in a 10 @ 30. Shooting standard lead turkey loads I don't shoot past 35yds. That's good enough for my turkey hunting.
Interesting thing is if you look at the Winchester website they claim the new XX HV 1 3/4 3" shells will out pattern the 2 oz shell at 40yds.. Not my experience with any gun.

162 in a 10 @ 40.  Rem870SM/ Ventilator .655. XX 3/2/6's (Red Shell)
140 in a 10 @ 40.  Rem870/ Kicks .655.            XX 3/2/6's (Red Shell)

The shell that was rebranded was the HV 3 and 3.5. (Black Shell). They now call it the XX HV but it is still the same shell. Don't know if they still make the XX 3/2/6's (Red Shell) so I bought 12 boxes when they started to become hard to find. Wish I would have done the same with the XX 3/2/5's.

Longshanks

Little food for thought. Friend of mine that is one of the best turkey hunters I know went up to MO this year.  Over the last 30yrs he has hunted with an 870/ .665 shooting Pb 5's.  He decided that the TSS rage was too much to pass up on so started shooting them out of his gun.  Went to MO, missed twice, and came back home. Never seen him do that. 18yds and 25yds. Sorta begs the question, Which one will deliver?