OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

It’s decision day - Weatherby vs Mossberg

Started by scottprice, April 03, 2020, 01:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottprice

By the end of the day I will be ordering one of these three guns...
-Weatherby SA459 (12ga)
-Weatherby SA459 (20ga)
-Mossberg SA20

Let me know what your vote is, and why.

Tom007

12 gauge Weatherby. Nice looking gun, I love 12 gauges. They are very proficient gobbler takers. Wide variety of loads, just my preference. 20's are great too, but I am a 12 gauge guy......
"Solo hunter"

RED NECK

I recently purchased the weatherby sa 459 in 12 gauge and I have to say its a perfect a fit as a turkey shotgun as I own.I am heading tomorrow to dial it in and pattern it.I would either go with it or the 20 ga model.I have lots of options for turkey/coyote but If I was just looking at one caliber.I would personally stay with a 12 gauge.The weatherby 12 gauge is light anyway and for me,the ammo option is better and less expensive for as a good or better pattern and distance.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

scottprice

I definitely agree with better ammo selection for the 12ga. But My Absolute max is 40 yards anyway, so damn near anything off the shelf will work. I like getting them close.

My attraction to the 20ga is a lighter gun and ability to shoot slugs for deer and not blow my teeth out

RED NECK

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the weatherby sa459 in 20 gauge as It would be as nice as the 12 ga and I have to say,It is a great feeling gun and handles extremely well.I don't even find it heavy in a 12 ga with a scope on it.You could not go wrong with either imo.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Bearcat1997

With you limiting your shots to 40 yards and preferring a lighter gun, I would for sure go with one of the 20s. The turkey ammo out there these days turns 20s into real performers.

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Tom007

All great info, advice. Sorry we may have mixed you up, but all the advice here works... good luck.
"Solo hunter"

huntinsomd

Unless you're doing a bunch of goose hunting I would say go with a 20ga. Lighter gun, just as capable with modern ammo and potentially less recoil.

g8rvet

I went with the Weatherby 20.  I had enough 12s that were duck guns.  I wanted a lightweight gun and I got lucky and bought enough HW #7 to last my lifetime.   It is a sweet little rig and is at 5 birds and counting!  From 15 yards to 37, never a hiccup.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

scottprice

Quote from: huntinsomd on April 03, 2020, 04:30:10 PM
Unless you're doing a bunch of goose hunting I would say go with a 20ga. Lighter gun, just as capable with modern ammo and potentially less recoil.
nope, just turkeys and some predators for this gun purchase

scottprice

Escout711

Go with the Weatherby. You get a better, lighter, trigger and you might like the pistol grip.

scottprice

Quote from: Escout711 on April 04, 2020, 08:15:09 AM
Go with the Weatherby. You get a better, lighter, trigger and you might like the pistol grip.
ill likely get a traditional stock for it too. Looks like I'll get the weatherby and flip a coin to determine 12 vs 20ga

SOCOM304

I have the SA459 and it's my go to turkey gun, even over my SBE2. Mine is a 20 gauge.