OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Another decoy post  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Swim-Bait

Another decoy post
« on: April 03, 2020, 12:59:59 PM »
Thinking about getting a decoy. Was looking at DSDs. I don't have any decoys at the moment, so take that into consideration. A guy I hunt with has a cheap hen decoy, but I plan on maybe doing some solo hunts; so I need my own stuff. If I don't currently have anything, would the DSD Mating Pair be a good choice, or is there something else I should look at? Public land hunting only. Decent amount of hiking in and out as well. Thank you for any recommendations.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
Re: Another decoy post
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 03:08:21 PM »
Then hen in the mating pair is fairly low profile...

Given a choice, I would go with the Jake and the leading hen (which can be set down without a stake and used as a breeder), or the jake and the upright hen (the upright hen is probably more available than the leading hen).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 06:05:05 PM »
It has been my experience with decoys, a feeding hen is the way to go if you want to go light.  You see hens feeding by their self all the time and the feeding position gives other birds that calm / relaxed atmosphere.  If I plan on only using 1 decoy for a setup, it will be a feeder.

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 06:11:49 PM »
It is also generally frowned upon as overly risky to use male turkey decoys on public land

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »
I do not use any "male" decoy on any public land, just a wise choice. With that being said and looking for a single decoy I would opt for feeding hen.

If looking for the pair then the DSD 3/4 Strut or Posturing Jake would be choice with Upright Hen (used her for years as my "Breeding" Hen) I just short stake her and good to go.

MK M GOBL

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 11:26:28 AM »
Then hen in the mating pair is fairly low profile...

Given a choice, I would go with the Jake and the leading hen (which can be set down without a stake and used as a breeder), or the jake and the upright hen (the upright hen is probably more available than the leading hen).

Ditto on a hen and Jake. You`re pretty well covered. Brands? DSD, I would submit, is probably considered the most realistic and you won`t go wrong if you can afford them. A pair that`s worked for me and is a lot less expensive is the Primos Gobstopper hen and jake.

Offline Swim-Bait

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 11:29:43 PM »
Thanks guys. I jumped the gun and went with the first suggestion of the DSD Jake and Leading Hen. Wouldn't say I can afford them, but I figured buy once and be done. LOL Not sure about how they don't pack down. Seem bulky, but the realism and detail make up for it. Should get them Monday. I'll be hunting Monday! LOL :( :funnyturkey:

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 07:40:17 AM »
Thanks guys. I jumped the gun and went with the first suggestion of the DSD Jake and Leading Hen. Wouldn't say I can afford them, but I figured buy once and be done. LOL Not sure about how they don't pack down. Seem bulky, but the realism and detail make up for it. Should get them Monday. I'll be hunting Monday! LOL :( :funnyturkey:

Good luck! You can`t beat DSD for realism short of a stuffer!