OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Collaboration Call for handicapped hunter  (Read 1830 times)

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
Collaboration Call for handicapped hunter
« on: April 03, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »
This was a project that I was very proud to be a part of. It started off with a request for "help" from another hunting forum. The fellow, TJ, explained that he was looking for a Wingbone or trumpet as he really wanted to kill a turkey using one of these instruments. The catch was, due to a motorcycle accident 10 years ago, he is a quadriplegic.

He has been hunting with the help of an electric wheelchair and a special gun mount that both operate with a chin joy stick, a blind and help from some very good folks. He has also killed two beautiful longbeards, calling them with a mouth call. Now, he wanted the challenge of using a yelper. I told him I was in!!! I wasn't sure exactly what I was going to build, but I wanted more than anything to help this guy out. We talked on the phone and I found out a little more about him. His optimism was through the roof.

Next thing I did was call my good buddy and callmaker, Lee Bowles, to tell him about the project and get his input. Any one who knows Lee, knows he is wheelchair bound from a car accident many years ago, but he's still a turkey killer and very excited to help out. We figured between the two of us that we could come up with something. We figured a cane yelper would be the easiest to mount. It would have to also have some kind of baffle on the end since TJ could not use his hands. I built a nice sounding Jordan and talked with Lee on what the baffle should be like. He turned a little proto type baffle and I traveled down to his shop to try it out. That was the ticket, so a week later, I went down to his shop and he turned a beautiful Mulberry (that Lee describes as "hateful") baffle and then we made an end cap. I finished the call and baffle with a mahogany stain and epoxy finish.

Lee and I had made plans to get together to clean some Wingbones the next Sunday. Since TJ lived about half an hour from Lee we figured, if it's alright with TJ that we could go down and meet him and present him with his call. I called TJ and it was a go!  After meeting this man and seeing the excitement and appreciation that he had, Lee and I felt truly blessed by our beautiful visit. What an inspiration he was to us with his desire get out there and do it!
We can't wait to get a pic from TJ with a gobbler....God Bless him.

Here's some pics of the call as well as TJ and Lee an TJ and me.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Collaboration Call for handicapped hunter
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 12:51:36 PM »
Love this story, great to see how we all come together as sportsmen/women to help one of our own. You guys came up with a neat little instrument there, hope you will update us on how his season turns out. I would like to hear it one day as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 01:09:34 PM »
I’ve had the pleasure to be beside Tony and Lee at Unicoi and both are great guys. Glad to see the 2 hunt on a project like this. Hope TJ harvests a bird with that call. ???? to Lee and Toney  well done

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »
 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Nice job you guys, well done! That is a killer yelper you guys designed and built. Congrats to you and TJ! Look forward to reading stories about this call in the year to come.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 06:21:56 PM by paboxcall »
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »
Great story and great job Tony.  Glad you could get Lee involved also. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Mathews.1

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 02:02:22 PM »
Awesome story Tony. People like you and Lee is what makes this sport great.

Offline sbbow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 03:18:34 PM »
Fantastic job on all parts! Great story too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 03:26:26 PM »
That's great ....... 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 06:05:28 PM »
I’ve had the pleasure to be beside Tony and Lee at Unicoi and both are great guys. Glad to see the 2 hunt on a project like this. Hope TJ harvests a bird with that call. ???? to Lee and Toney  well done
I agree great job

Offline greentag

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 08:50:31 PM »
That’s an awesome story and great gesture from you guys,beautiful call too,I bet he can’t wait to get one with it..it’s great that he still gets after them,and for him to want to make it even more challenging by learning a yelper is great,I hope he gets a big ole limb hanger  with it.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 09:19:47 PM »
I got to meet them both last August at the The NorthEast Call Makers Summit and I agree, both very nice guys. I already had a yelper from Tony and picked up a nice scratch box from Lee.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 09:37:58 PM »
Awesome project!
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 10:23:05 PM »
Very nice of you both to help him.
As my wife says, your earning your wings

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 12:20:05 AM »
This is one of the best turkey call stories I have ever heard.

Great job to you both on designing this call to over come the challenges of how TJ will need to use it.
Beautiful craftsmanship on a great looking call

Best success to TJ in using it to hunt this spring season

Well done

Online Jfowler82

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 12:21:20 AM »
Unreal ! That’s is a awesome story and yelper ! I know that thing will sing a tune ! Good luck I hope he bags an old boss gobbler with it !