OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Funky Chicken Failure  (Read 5945 times)

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Funky Chicken Failure
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 02:25:52 PM »
Couple of years ago I decided to try the funk and got one. Hunted my farm in SC set up first morning in a field with the funk and a hen or two. Had some gobbling in front of me and a silent gobbler came in from behind and had no interest in the decoy. Started walking in the field and then left in a hurry. I see a group come from the far side and I call a little and they start working over. Turns out it's a group of 5 jakes. I started call them the Gang of 5. They catch sight of the funk and hens and come right in. I had them milling around I could probably killed 3 in one shot. Soon as I saw this I knew what was going on. I let them walk and almost had them called back and decided I would kill one since there's 5 of them. Farmers wife drove by and spooked them. I cut through the woods to the next field over and there they were having a stand off with a gobbler about 100 yards apart. I pulled the funk and hunted the rest of the time with just a single hen. Killed the biggest Jake the next morning doublr bearded and about 7 inch beard. Bubba
  In all seriousness, how much do you still use your Funky? I have two and have only  used the one a few times and had an experience where a gobbler wouldn't commit into range (was using one and a hen), I am just trying to get some feedback because I sure as heck wanna use it more but positive feedback leaves me not second guessing as much?

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 05:02:10 PM »
Probably shouldn't have been wearing blaze orange. Lol.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 05:07:53 PM »
That's what I love about this sport. Nothing you do is a sure thing.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 05:12:11 PM »
Probably shouldn't have been wearing blaze orange. Lol.

You mean the blaze orange boony hat wasn’t the way to go? The kid working at Dicks said that’s what he wears when he’s Turkey hunting. Haha. Bubba

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 09:04:58 PM »
Been well.   Hope you are too.  Stay safe down there brother.  Our duck season was poor but we managed a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 05:11:09 AM »
 Probably have a dozen pictures of "Funky" after action results but rarely post them on this forum, and this forum only, because of file size restrictions. Grr!
Anyway - in the last few seasons Funky has been included in our decoy spread.  When hunting with a buddy we will usually have his breeding position Avain X, a Primos hen, and Funky placed near the Avain X.  Sometimes throw in an old Primos Jake Mobile with real tail.  Quite a collection. If by myself it will be Funky and the hen.  This is all private land stuff.  If we hunt public it's a hen only.  Nothing red.  So far this Florida season my buddy has taken one on 3/22 and I took one last Thursday. Funky and his buddies involved in both.  Pictures added later - maybe. I see I did get two to post on a thread titled "What kind of jake do you prefer".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:13:06 AM by joey46 »

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2020, 11:53:31 AM »
Is that a .410 Joey?

Offline High plains drifter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 12:34:20 AM »
That funky chicken is so strange,  that makes me want to try it, to see if it works.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 07:24:45 AM »
Is that a .410 Joey?

Yes - New this season. Be taking it out again this weekend. Funky will tag along. Lol.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 10:00:52 AM »
Couple of years ago I decided to try the funk and got one. Hunted my farm in SC set up first morning in a field with the funk and a hen or two. Had some gobbling in front of me and a silent gobbler came in from behind and had no interest in the decoy. Started walking in the field and then left in a hurry. I see a group come from the far side and I call a little and they start working over. Turns out it's a group of 5 jakes. I started call them the Gang of 5. They catch sight of the funk and hens and come right in. I had them milling around I could probably killed 3 in one shot. Soon as I saw this I knew what was going on. I let them walk and almost had them called back and decided I would kill one since there's 5 of them. Farmers wife drove by and spooked them. I cut through the woods to the next field over and there they were having a stand off with a gobbler about 100 yards apart. I pulled the funk and hunted the rest of the time with just a single hen. Killed the biggest Jake the next morning doublr bearded and about 7 inch beard. Bubba
  In all seriousness, how much do you still use your Funky? I have two and have only  used the one a few times and had an experience where a gobbler wouldn't commit into range (was using one and a hen), I am just trying to get some feedback because I sure as heck wanna use it more but positive feedback leaves me not second guessing as much?

Truthfully I can't really give it that much of a review. I think in my situation with all the Jakes it drew them in. Any other time I think it would work. Like the others have said I think it reallys depends on the birds and the pecking order. Bubba

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »
That funky chicken is so strange,  that makes me want to try it, to see if it works.

That's exactly what I thought When I was reading the post on here about how good it works. Bubba

Offline nebgoosehunter

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 10:28:12 AM »
I have one I use with some Avian X hens but feel like I can't give an honest review.  I've had times where a single gobbler will run right in and I've had other times where they just seem to ignore me.   

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »
Is that a .410 Joey?

Yes - New this season. Be taking it out again this weekend. Funky will tag along. Lol.

Nice about .410 Joey!
I know F/C works, no question. I had a gobbler wear mine out for three or four minutes straight. He came in gangbusters and knocked the chicken over, behind a big tree. I couldn't get a shot so he just opened a can of whoop a _ _ on the poor little fella. He was beating him with his wings and pecking him. Apparently he had an issue with the little fella' 'cause he didn't give up until I snapped a cap on him. He backed up for a second and gave me a shot. POW! I ended the beat down.
They work if you don't have a gang of hoodlums running around beating up on the single gobblers.

Offline Beards and Hooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2020, 03:19:29 PM »

Truthfully I can't really give it that much of a review. I think in my situation with all the Jakes it drew them in. Any other time I think it would work. Like the others have said I think it reallys depends on the birds and the pecking order. Bubba
Thanks for the feedback chief do you plan on using it more? Thanks to the other guys sounds encouraging going to be fun to try it out again with hopefully the same results as some other posters on here.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2020, 03:25:22 PM »
You could have had a $200 DSD there and more than likely the reaction would have been the same. Some birds just get nervous around decoys.