OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slate preference; Red, Green, or Gray

Started by Tetelestai, April 01, 2020, 10:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I really like RED in a persimmon pot from Buster Halford. I love my green slate in cedar from Brad Roberts. Eddie Wynne gray slate in a zebrawood or Persimmon pot is incredible. All this being said , there is a time and place for each and all 3 of the slate colors have a diffrent pitch. Kinda of like bass fishing and having 3 different crank baits. All 3 different colors , but one will out perform the other 2 on certain days and vise versa. Depends on what they want on that particular day. Just my 2 cents.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

MJW

I still like the good old grey slate the best.

EZ

It all depends on who's making them and who's running them. I usually ask the callmaker (there's a pile of great ones on here) to make me what HE likes. I know I'll be satisfied.

vt35mag

Green in cedar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

wchadw

Quote from: vt35mag on April 02, 2020, 06:04:57 PM
Green in cedar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
That's a good one right there. My "go to" green slate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol Yelper

That killer slate looks like a Roberts Green Slate in Cedar, my favorite call. However I have a Red from Daybreak that sounds awesome and has a bit different sound. I carry them both.

yelpy

I like em all. They have their differences  and for some fine calls.

drk9988

Grey over brass, Green over Copper or glass, red over glass

Harty

I like them all and carry them all. Each has killed birds and what the birds respond to seems to vary from place to place and day to day.

wvmntnhick

Don't have a red yet. Not 100% certain I'll get one either. I've got a gray, green and purple. The purple has a higher pitched sound similar to glass. I find it to run easier than some glass/crystal calls and is much more forgiving. The green is just a beast. Does everything well. My gray slate is a 3" while the others are 3.5". I use the gray a lot but that's because I've never been a slate guy until I found the right one. All 3 came from Mike Yingling. Never had one I liked until I got one of his. Now I find myself torn between just carrying one slate and a couple other surfaces or all 3 slates and call it good. Probably just one slate at a time since humidity can be an issue for slate. If I had to choose, it would be gray or green. Wouldn't much matter to me. Both are going to give me exactly what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk