OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scouting trip  (Read 1328 times)

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
Scouting trip
« on: April 01, 2020, 09:12:54 AM »
Went to a farm to listen this morning and things got interesting. Probably shouldn’t have done it and had no plan of staying as long as I did. Just kinda happened. Walked to my typical listening spot over there and hooted. Bird responded directly across from me. Looked through the binos and could see him strutting on the limb with 6-7 ladies. Hooted again, got another response. Not sure how but I only saw one hen pitch down. Scanned the trees again and they were all gone. They all pitched down into the woods. Nothing in the field. Whipped out a Yingling brass call and gave a few yelps just for giggles. He answered. Couple more times, same results. Switched to a Yingling aluminum and got another response but this time 2 gobbled. And they were close. Figured I’d better leave but no dice. They were sprinting across the field. Had to wait for them to pass out of sight so I could skip out the back. It’ll be at least 3 weeks before I can hunt that farm. Farmers buddy gets to hunt it before I do. He’ll struggle in there for a couple weeks, lucky to kill a bird but making things harder for me in the process. But, it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Scouting trip
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 09:22:14 AM »
Good luck buddy
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline ScottS

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 11:11:45 AM »
Good luck! That will for sure get you excited to get in there!

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »
I never call to them before season.

Offline hootgobbleyelpgobble

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 01:21:36 PM »
I never call to them before season.

I agree. I have made that mistake when I first got serious with turkey hunting. Now I just listen and let the birds talk when they want to. I won't even make a locator call in the off season.

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 05:12:29 PM »
If it was a place I got to hunt early, I wouldn’t have. I have to wait until the third week now because the guy that deer hunts it gets the first 2 weeks. He’s got things so muddled up by the time I get there it’s a challenge. Figured he could have a taste of his own medication this year. Lol