OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Questions on making calls  (Read 2873 times)

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
Questions on making calls
« on: March 31, 2020, 08:21:14 PM »
Ok so I'm piecing together little tid bits about building calls. Like the tighter the stretch, the less back tension you use. Less stretch,  more back tension.  Also deeper cuts in the top Reed gives more rasp.  So in theory would a deep ghost cut give you more rasp? Thanks guys I know in thew alot out here
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Questions on making calls
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 03:57:25 PM »
I believe that theory is sound,...to a degree.  The other factors you mention, as well as the reed material you make the call with and reed spacing, cut angles, etc.,...all will have an impact.  My advice is to just start experimenting making calls.  You will soon start seeing patterns of sound based on how you manipulate the various factors that influence it. 

Always keep in mind that all of us have different "mechanics" in how we call.  As we well know from asking questions about favorite mouth calls and designs on these forums, the personal favorites of different folks are all over the map.  The call designs that work best for you, me, or the next guy can be completely different.  In the long run, you have to sort all of it out for yourself. 

Again, though, that's the fun of making your own calls.  That learning process is enjoyable,...and ultimately, very rewarding in terms of improving your personal calling abilities and also being able to help others out with their's. 

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 11:03:18 PM »
Thanks gobblenut you said it best that the fun is in experimenting making calls. I'll make a couple up tomorrow and see how they turn out thanks!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline randytanner

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 11:20:52 PM »
My experience is that ghost cuts can be especially sensitive to depth and width in the cuts.  The best style ghost cut I've found so far is an hourglass-style ghost cut, where the width at the top of the reed is narrower than the base of the ghost cut.  Good example is the Jesse Martin American Strutter call.  I've found that style of ghost cut is more versatile for producing good, soft purrs, mid-range yelps, and kee-kees than a ghost cut where the width at the top is the same as or similar to width at the base of the cut.

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 02:51:05 AM »
I mostly make a split v or a ghost cut. With the v if I make it too small its not got the rasp. If I cut it too deep then it don't have the soft stuff. And with the ghost cut it's pure high end. Kee Kee machine. But no rasp unless I blow air over the edge of the cut if that makes sense. Thanks for the advice guys

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 04:48:04 PM »
I think everyones definition of "rasp" is different.

When I think of "rasp", I think of something like a batwing cut, that scratchy finishing rasp, and I think most guys really do as well.   
Others think that rasp is something else.

When talking say a 3 reed V cut, even with setback top reed or whatever you want to do there, most guys cant get that kind of "rasp". It mainly comes off sounding "muddy". Theres just to much trash there, to much top reed material imo. Then again some turkeys sound like that.

For me to get the rasp I like out of a V cut, I clip the corners off of the V. So a modified V cut is what I like. Depending on how much you clip off etc. makes a difference.

Same on a ghost cut..to much trash hanging off, clipping the edges will liven it up with rasp.
I should say, this is for the range that I stretch in though.
Just my 2 cents.

Offline maxbo36

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 09:21:51 PM »
While I cannot speak much for Ghost cut calls because for me I cannot get anything close to what I am looking for, there are so MANY factors in building mouth calls that you could literally build calls everyday 365 and come up with a different combination and sound.  Tension, stagger, cuts, reed combos, it goes on and on.

I have always been a V cut or Batwing user.  Lonewolf is correct on his information regarding the tuning process of a V cut call.  Trimming the wings ever so slightly and even the tip little by little will bring a call in.  90% of all Batwings I make for myself, I need to trim the tip little by little, and sometimes if I go too far, I will deepen one side of the wing then the other and it can bring the rasp back into it.

One more point I think needs to be made is that in the late 80's and early 90s I called competitively.  In all those years I called using only the very TIP of my tongue.  I never thought to try anything else.  About 10 years ago I began to play around using the middle and back of my tongue and am having fantastic results.  Do not be afraid to play around with tongue placement, tongue pressure and air flow.  I have also found that the tighter the stretch the less tongue pressure is necessary.  Remember, you control the call, do not let the call control you.  If you have to get to mouthy or struggle breathing when calling, that call likely isn't for you.

One last point, The great mouth callers of the world can almost breathe and call at the same time.  they call with the same amount of air that they speak with.  They bring the air from their diaphragm and turn it on and shut it off with each note like a valve turning on and off.  Each yelp is its own individual note and not run together.  Not sure If I made any sense, and I hope this helped.

Offline Lonehowl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 11:02:44 PM »
Perfect sense, well said.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 03:46:52 PM »
Yall killed it,  I think we hear guys like Dave owens and Scott Ellis and get caught up in trying to sound like those guys, that we forget about the big picture.  I do anyways. I used to sound like a party horn but still yelped birds up. And my idea of rasp is having that little nasty bark at the end of a Yelp.  I have some v's that its hard to find a clear note between all the nastiness.  Thanks guys I'm gonna make a couple up tonight