OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Woods Snacks?!  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Woods Snacks?!
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2020, 08:07:02 PM »
Couple of moon pies and a Mountain Dew ... country boy fillet mignon

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2020, 08:45:23 PM »
Vienna sausage, crackers of some kind, thermos of coffee if it's cool or cold. Canteen of water.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline mhamby

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2020, 05:55:32 PM »
I usually carry granola bars, protein bars and a homemade trail mix.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2020, 10:06:38 PM »
PB crackers (Nabs), a small Payday bar or two and a breakfast bar are my usual snacks. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2020, 12:14:10 AM »
I added a water bladder last year and lived the convenience so I always have water.  As far as snacks, I usually carry beef jerky, trail mix, and a pack or two of peanut butter Lance Crackers; the Ritz Cracker/Peanut Butter ones. I always have a cooler full of SunDrop at the truck when the hunt is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2020, 07:18:13 AM »
Deersticks, Licorice, Snickers, Rice crispy bars,etc. My wife usually always will make up a pretty good snack bag for my Son and I,but we hunt all day if that's what it takes.

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2020, 08:52:37 AM »
I usually just eat crow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can relate to this......
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2020, 09:04:18 AM »
I leave everything back at the truck because eating or drinking anything generally results in needing to do #1 or #2 within an hour or two, at least for me. In the past, I scared off a gobbler hung up and eyeing my decoys from 100 yards from not being able to hold it any longer. All I take with me are cough drops to combat spring allergies.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2020, 11:09:44 PM »
The last couple of years I have been taking cutie oranges and apples in my vest along with a water bottle. The fruit helps with thirst some also. I also don’t have to worry about keeping track of my trash. I also like many of the snacks other people have mentioned but this is what I have been taking lately.

Offline SteelCityArcher

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Complacency Breeds Failure
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2020, 12:21:06 AM »
Powerade Zero
Banana
Cliff Bar
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

Offline dzsmith

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2020, 01:19:06 AM »
I don't bring food with me. When it gets to that point....I leave. I eat a good breakfast drink coffee, take a dump and prepare for a 1/2 day battle whether that means 1 mile or 10 miles. I like to work it off. I come back at noon or shortly after, and eat lunch at the truck. a sandwich, and a diet coke or something similar. maybe a super high calorie bar of some sort and diet coke...but no I don't snack in the woods. Perhaps if I was never going to leave the woods I would bring one...but If I haven't struck anything by 11 oclock..im going somewhere else most of the time especially if im traveling and hunting. I actually got a bunch of the hams off the deer I killed this year smoked and sliced into sandwhich meat for this specific reason...food for the road. But to answer the question my favorite protein bar of choice is made by met-rx "supplement company" its called the big collasal or something like that. its a chocolate cookie protein bar with white icing. Like 30 gr of protein. 30+ carbs and 300ish calories. its a straight up meal replacement. It tastes great!!! ive no problem eating them, probably eaten my body weight in those in my lifetime and they are pretty common at gas stations. I don't carry water either. I have a lifestraw for an absolute emergency.....But that's it, I don't use it because im a little thirsty...I just deal with it. I also dip snuff, so that keeps my hunger at bay I imagine.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Offline Millcrkhunter

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2020, 09:12:01 PM »
Cliff bar and water, mountain opps enduro on my way hunting, usually a sandwich from the last remaining country store around here, sometime mid day or on my way home, this year I’ll prob have to pack my sandwich, and can’t forget my kodiak.

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2020, 10:08:31 PM »
The last couple of years I have been taking cutie oranges and apples in my vest along with a water bottle. The fruit helps with thirst some also. I also don’t have to worry about keeping track of my trash. I also like many of the snacks other people have mentioned but this is what I have been taking lately.

i like the fruit idea. i don't eat enough. i think i'll do that this year.

i always take a mesh bag for morels and some plastic bags for ramps.

3 or 4 years ago i shot a bird about 1pm that came from farther away than any bird i've ever called in. he covered that ground in about 5 minutes. my dad had just enough time to run down the hill and get into a downfall and i stood behind a tree. saw red to my right, swung and shot him at 5 yards. only bird i've ever shot uphill. 

before we got him we found about 5 pounds of morels, 5 pounds of pheasantbacks, and about 200 ramps. went out that evening and caught a limit of wild trout. my best day in the woods ever