OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Remington 870 Supermag 12ga w/ Carlson's LB XR Choke  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Jeffritz

Remington 870 Supermag 12ga w/ Carlson's LB XR Choke
« on: March 31, 2020, 04:52:42 PM »
So I just bought a Remington 870 Supermag 12ga with 26" barrel in RealTree camo. Also purchased a Carlson's LB XR .660 choke tube. I see a lot of guys are getting 200+ hits in a 10" circle. Well just got back to the range and I was expecting a little more from my setup. Figured I post here for reference and possible advice. I did get a couple shots at 20 yards but ashamed to post them since it seems to be shooting a little high. I thought I was death gripping to hard so I loosened up on the gun while shooting the Winchester Double X 3.5" #5 and WOW did I do a number on my shoulder. Big mistake and I'll wake up with a black and blue for my poor judgement. What do y'all think? Am I doing something wrong? Should it be better? Will it kill turkey? Thanks!

First photo is 94 pellets in 10" @ 40 yards with Winchester LB XR 3" #5

Second photo is 72 pellets in 10" @ 40 yards with Winchester Double X 3.5" #5

Third photo (shot high so didn't count) is 10" @ 20 yards with Winchester LB XR 3" #5
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 05:33:35 PM by Jeffritz »

Offline strum

Re: Remington 870 Supermag 12ga w/ Carlson's LB XR Choke
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 05:46:55 PM »
 Will it kill .. Heck yes it will.  If you start playing the numbers game youre not there . but as you see when you get the bird inside 30 youll take his head off.  get your self sighted in a little better .. you may find you were high at the 40 too and if you bring it down you may get more shots in the 10"

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 10:50:28 AM »
Looks like its patterning high. I had same problem. Get some butcher paper at least 30x30 and find center. You will find out you will do better. I know it`s expensive but try different loads. Use target loads to sight in to center. Good luck, keep us posted! And post them 20 yarders! It`s helpful to everyone else.God bless

Offline lmbunch69

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 02:06:36 PM »
 My super mag with a 21 inch barrel shot the longbeard a nearly a foot high at 40. The double x #5s just broke 100 in the 10 after a deep clean. I'd try cleaning it real good and shoot again.

Offline Jeffritz

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 02:07:41 PM »
Will it kill .. Heck yes it will.  If you start playing the numbers game youre not there . but as you see when you get the bird inside 30 youll take his head off.  get your self sighted in a little better .. you may find you were high at the 40 too and if you bring it down you may get more shots in the 10"
Thanks strum! Yeah, not exactly trying to play the numbers game since I can care less about getting 300+ hits @ 40 yards. I was expecting higher numbers than what I got with this combo though. I do need to figure out why I'm hitting high as first course of action.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Offline Jeffritz

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 02:36:58 PM »
Looks like its patterning high. I had same problem. Get some butcher paper at least 30x30 and find center. You will find out you will do better. I know it`s expensive but try different loads. Use target loads to sight in to center. Good luck, keep us posted! And post them 20 yarders! It`s helpful to everyone else.God bless
Thanks Old Timer. I have taken the same gun to the range twice at this point. Both sessions it was shooting high with all three loads I tried. The two Winchester turkey loads I mentioned in my first post and the 2-3/4 #8 target loads I've had around for years. I brought a lot of Target loads this second day because my shoulder was taking a beating and I was trying to troubleshoot this shoot high problem. I also tried shooting with a gun rested on top of my shooting bag for more stationary position but still high. The only thing I can think of at this point is let somebody else try shooting the gun. Trying to eliminate if the problem is just me.

Offline Jeffritz

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 02:37:48 PM »
My super mag with a 21 inch barrel shot the longbeard a nearly a foot high at 40. The double x #5s just broke 100 in the 10 after a deep clean. I'd try cleaning it real good and shoot again.
Was cleaning it really well the fix for you? I stuck a 2-ft bubble level across the top of the rib of barrel seems straight but not sure if a very scientific test.

Offline blake_08

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 04:03:17 PM »
If you specified in your post i didn't see it, but are you shooting with just the bead on the vent rib? If so, that's likely your problem. A lot of guns don't shoot point of aim = point of impact. If that's the case, you'll likely have to hold low, or put some kind of adjustable sights or optics on the gun.

Offline Jeffritz

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 04:50:48 PM »
If you specified in your post i didn't see it, but are you shooting with just the bead on the vent rib? If so, that's likely your problem. A lot of guns don't shoot point of aim = point of impact. If that's the case, you'll likely have to hold low, or put some kind of adjustable sights or optics on the gun.

Yes it's a brand new gun. It only has one brass / stainless bead on the end of the vent rib. From what I can see it looks like the bead is pressed in.

Offline ShootingABN!

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 06:38:47 PM »
As others have said. Get fiber optic sights on the ribs, or a scope. Big paper to make sure you are hitting the point of aim.

Clean, clean, clean the barrel.

Good luck

Offline Jeffritz

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 07:27:31 PM »
So is in fact a common occurrence that "A lot of guns don't shoot point of aim = point of impact." ?

Another words no one thinks this is any kind of defect?

Offline jrinny

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 08:04:48 PM »
My super mag shot 6-8 inches high at 40 yards with the factory bead. It was dead on left to right. I just added a fiber optic “ dead ringer”  bead that sits a little higher off the rib ( because of the base ) .  If I shoot with only the bead visible ( and not the base) - it is now dead on height wise . It is also worth trying # 6  ‘s in those loads - it should up your numbers some

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2020, 09:08:59 PM »
A little disappointing when you put your hard earned money out and a firearm and the performance expected is not there. Fiber optic sights are a good choice and can be adjusted or scope if it`s going to be dedicated for turkey hunting. You can also check to see if barrel meets receiver is flush. Also check your cast between stock and receiver a smith might help you there. You have one thing going it appears to shoot straight. Call customer service and express your dissatisfaction. I live close by Ilion NY and have been there more than once and i was taken care off. That was a few years back I don`t know how it is now. Good luck, Old Timer

Offline Jeffritz

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2020, 09:22:41 PM »
Thank you for the advice. Thankfully it does shoot straight just consistently high. With turkey season coming up on April 11th here in Virginia I don't want to be without my only shotgun as it goes in for warranty evaluation. Possibly after the season I might send it in. For the short term I just bought a front fiber site that sits up higher. It's a HI VIZ Remington ETA Magnetic Front Sight. Cheap fix for now.

I'm sorry if this is a completely novice question. With turkeys having such incredible eyesight it's one of the reasons I traded my old Mossberg 500 for this Remington 870. With the camo and 3.5" capability I figured it would be a better turkey gun. The fiber site comes with red or green insert. Is having a fiber site like a neon sign that scares turkey? Sorry if this is the dumb question but I'm new what can I say :-P

Offline jrinny

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2020, 10:23:17 PM »
Don’t worry about the sight being seen . Any movement is usually what gets you busted