OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 20 ga vent rib vs rifle sight barrel ?

Started by Mossyballs, March 29, 2020, 04:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossyballs

About to purchase a new 21" barrel for my 870 express 20 ga.
It will be a dedicated turkey barrel. I am torn between vent rib and rifle sights.
My other turkey gun is an 870 12 ga vent rib with a single fiber optic bead. I am used to the single bead and have never had any issues out to my max distance.
I like the idea of precision aiming with rifle sights but am worried about straying from what I know.
Any downsides to rifle sights with no vent rib?

USMC0331

If it's going to be strictly turkey and it has adjustable rifle sights your good. If you need or have to have a optic you will have to use the receiver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

chipper

I had the same decision and bought the vent rib barrel, I wished now I would have bought the 21" barrel with sights just because it is strictly a Turkey gun.

longislandloco

JMHO......If you get the ribbed barrel you ca add a set of Williams fiber optic sights for the turkey season, remove for more versatility.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Mossyballs

I do not like adding rifle sights to a ribbed barrel. If I wanted rifle sights I would go with pain barrel with sights. I have no plans for optics. It will be a turkeys only barrel so I am leaning to rifle sights. I just hope they are as intuitive as my bead. Worried about focusing on front sight and forgetting back sight when aiming at a bird.

USMC0331

As with any sighting platform,  which ever you decide to get , shoot several light loads with it to get a feel of how it works.  Dont wait till crunch time, it will make you very sick.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

hush

Go with the rifle sight barrel. Better, more consistent sight picture/accuracy.

nyhunter

I have 3 with vent rid and bead sights, only one shoots close enough with the bead to be able to hunt with it, with that being said buy the barrel with the rifle sights. thats my :z-twocents:

Mossyballs

21" barrels with rifle sights available on eBay and gunbroker

longislandloco

Quote from: Mossyballs on March 29, 2020, 08:47:56 PM
I do not like adding rifle sights to a ribbed barrel. If I wanted rifle sights I would go with pain barrel with sights. I have no plans for optics. It will be a turkeys only barrel so I am leaning to rifle sights. I just hope they are as intuitive as my bead. Worried about focusing on front sight and forgetting back sight when aiming at a bird.

Rib sight was just a suggestion.........Have nice season.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe