OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Are Low Brass #7 1/2 Game Loads Enough...?  (Read 4387 times)

Offline Full_Fan

Are Low Brass #7 1/2 Game Loads Enough...?
« on: March 30, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »
A long awaited milestone for me… I’m planning on taking my 9 year old daughter on her first turkey hunt here in a couple weeks.  I have a Remington 11-87 youth model 20 gauge ready to go.   I put a set of Truglo sights on it this weekend and took it out back and zeroed it.  She’s never shot a shotgun before so I had her shoot it 5 times while sitting between my legs off shooting sticks.  I only used 2 3/4” low brass #7 1/2 rem game loads (lead).  She’s only 90 pounds so that was enough recoil for her and I realized I don’t want to go any higher.  I got a box of 2 3/4" high brass Win Super Pheasant #5’s (lead) that I was going to have her shoot and hunt with but they have more kick and the rem game loads seemed like they were plenty for her… I don’t want to start her off flinching.

I shot a few with different chokes to see the pattern it threw and am leaning on going with either the regular full or the modified choke.  The super full shot nice, but I want a little more forgiving pattern.

My question is what do you guys think about hunting with the 2 3/4” low brass #7 1/2 rem game loads?  There basically clay loads.  They have a nice pattern at 25 yards and with the modified choke and #7 1/2s really have some room for error. 

I don’t plan on her shooting further than 20 or 25 yards.  This can kill a turkey just fine right?  I just want to keep it as simple as I can.
Thanks.

Offline ahfox16

Re: Are Low Brass #7 1/2 Game Loads Enough...?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »
I'd prefer the same load in 6's, but 7.5" will do it.  I'd have a decoy out at 20 yards and make sure she doesn't take a shot longer then that and absolutely aim for the neck and not the body.  I know quite a few folks who have killed them during the fall when they got up in front of a flushing dog with 20 gauges and using 7.5 Grouse loads.

Offline Curtdawg88

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 07:17:42 PM »
Honestly if you slipped a real turkey load in there for turkey hunting she would probably never know it because of all the adrenaline associated with shooting the turkey. You would need to pattern before the hunt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Offline Bearcat1997

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:22:10 PM »
Honestly if you slipped a real turkey load in there for turkey hunting she would probably never know it because of all the adrenaline associated with shooting the turkey. You would need to pattern before the hunt though.

I second this

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 08:11:03 AM »
A Remington gameload is not really like a clay load. The clay load (Winch AA, Rem STS, Fed GM, etc) will have much harder (high antimony) shot and will pattern much better than the game load, which is assembled with the cheapest possible components, particularly the shot. That is where they save money.

Lead 7.5s have the penetration ability to kill a turkey to 35 yds or as far as your pattern will hold up with that shell. I shot a high quality WW sporting clays shell from my 12 ga 1187 through an IC .665 choke. It did 160/10 at 30 yds with a very even pattern. You will be throwing a quarter ounce less shot but should still have a solid 25-30 yds gun. Pattern it yourself to increasing distance and see where the pattern falls to 100/10" with the choke you plan to use. That will be your max range.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

Offline tnanh

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 03:54:16 PM »
I shot some Winchester super x 2 3-4 high brass 7 1/2 shot the other day in my nephews single shot 20 gauge. They call them upland & small game loads. Recoil was not very noticable at all and they were shot in an old k mart single shot with no recoil pad on it. Out to 30 yards they shot a very acceptable pattern with a Carlsons .575 choke. I would probably hunt them if I knew the shots would be 30 yards or less. Pm me your phone number and I will send you a photo of the box if you would like. I was concerned with the 1 ounce of shot at first but not now.

Offline Full_Fan

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 06:12:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I ordered a box of super x low brass #6 game loads, super x low brass #7 1/2 game loads, and super x high brass #7 1/2 game loads.  I'll have her shoot the low brass on paper and then will substitute the high brass in the field as long as they pattern well.  I'll see if I can pattern the high brass with a modified and normal full choke.  I'm looking for a nice wide pattern at 20-25 yards, I'm not going for distance here.  I just don't think she's ready for a true turkey load yet and don't want to risk turning her off to the gun.  If I can't get one within 25 yards for her, I'm not doing my job.  Thanks for the replies!!

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 08:31:07 PM »

I agree 1000%, but I would replace w a Federal HWT 2 3/4” #7 shot.  Very minimal kick (especially out of an 11-87 semi-auto).
Shell never notice the kick while drawing down on a Tom’s wattles.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 08:16:24 AM by Brwndg »
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline Curtdawg88

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 11:28:18 PM »

I agree 1000%, but I would replace w a Federal HWT 2 3/4” #7 shot.  Very minimal kick (especially out of an 11-87 semi-auto).
Shell never notice the kick while drawi f down on a Tom’s wattles.
I hunt with several guys who never let their kids shoot anything more than a .22lr on the range but they kill deer with 6.5 Creedmore or bigger. Their theory is don’t make them trigger shy on the range and they never know when shooting a deer.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Offline Full_Fan

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 03:53:41 PM »
I'm going to hold off with switching out for a true turkey load this year but maybe will consider that in the future depending how she does this year.  Out of all the heavy shot manufacturers, who offers a 20ga 2 3/4" option?  I see someone posted about Federal HWT 2 3/4” but I couldn't find any for sale when I did a quick search...?  Thanks.

Offline firedup

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2020, 08:01:24 PM »
I set up a Mossberg youth 20 shooting 7 1/2 low brass field loads for a friend with some serious disabilities including severe neck disfunction. Read that as little to no recoil.  My tests, both for pattern and penetration indicated that at 25 yards it would certainly put a mature turkey down for the count. I might slip a bigger shell in there if the kid was older but at 9? Why take a chance and make her gunshy for years to come. Just another opinion. Everybodies got one.....

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2020, 10:33:47 PM »
at 25 yds or less any game or field load 7-1/2 will kill a bird
they are not bullet proof
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline Brwndg

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 05:30:27 AM »
I'm going to hold off with switching out for a true turkey load this year but maybe will consider that in the future depending how she does this year.  Out of all the heavy shot manufacturers, who offers a 20ga 2 3/4" option?  I see someone posted about Federal HWT 2 3/4” but I couldn't find any for sale when I did a quick search...?  Thanks.

$14.99/box at Rogers
https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/federal-premium-mag-shok-heavyweight-turkey-shotshells-20ga-2-3-4-1-1-8oz-1100fps
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 08:16:50 AM »
One more time and then I will shut up. If you want a good patterning, low recoil shell for a kid, get a box of high quality target loads loaded with 7&1/2s with either 7/8s or 1 oz of shot. Field loads use cheap shot that does not pattern as well. High brass field loads are no better. Don't believe it? Shoot them side by side and compare. Competitive target shooters shoot the best ammo available; turkey hunters should do no less.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 09:54:21 AM »
One more time and then I will shut up. If you want a good patterning, low recoil shell for a kid, get a box of high quality target loads loaded with 7&1/2s with either 7/8s or 1 oz of shot. Field loads use cheap shot that does not pattern as well. High brass field loads are no better. Don't believe it? Shoot them side by side and compare. Competitive target shooters shoot the best ammo available; turkey hunters should do no less.

^^ this is the best info on this thread, the harder alloy shot will pattern and also penetrate head/neck bones much better than the cheap soft lead shot.

And also Firedup's advice on don't try to sneak a turkey load in on a very young/small child just getting started, there is time for that later on after a season or 2.

I have shot the fed 2.75" HVWT 1 1/8oz. #7 loads out of a 5.5lb. super bantam and there is noticeably more recoil from them compared to the above mentioned magnum shot (not magnum load) target loads.