OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: The Beretta Struck..On The Board!  (Read 1527 times)

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
The Beretta Struck..On The Board!
« on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:22 PM »
He’s not a monster, but hey, it’s a gobbler. Good 2 year old. It was a classic wham-bam hunt this morning. Heard him gobble yesterday evening a few times. I know the land well, and had a decent fix on his location. Snuck in before daylight and set up facing the ridge I thought him to be on. Nearly had a stroke when the first gobble nearly blew my hat off from straight behind me. Unbeknownst to me, and him as well, I had walked almost directly under his tree coming in; he was roughly 60-70 yards behind me. Guess that means my stealth game is strong . Anyway, there were a few large pines in between me and him and he couldn’t see the tree I was on.  I eased around and faced him. He was gobbling hard, and hammered at the first tree yelp. After about ten minutes and three or four soft yelps, he pitched down to my hard left. I swung the gun on him as he was flying down, and he landed about 50 yards from me. Stayed silent and let him hunt for me. He stood in place strutting behind a tree for what seemed like 10 minutes, although it was probably only one or two. Finally he broke and eased toward me a few steps. At about 45 yards he gave me a clear shot, and dropped into a half strut with his head raised. There was no need to wait any longer, and I let the Beretta eat. He and I both learned that those Apex #9s hit like a freight train. Stoned him in his tracks, didn’t even flop. He dropped so quickly I almost thought for a second I had missed. It was a very fun and blessed morning for sure. Even though it’s just an average two year old, he was a ton of fun to hunt, he gobbled hard and put on a good show, and I had no qualms about dropping him. 9.5 inch beard, spurs just shy of an inch, and weighed 17lbs 6oz. Total score of 53.25. Pictures below for contest entry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline ThunderChickenHunter21

Re: The Beretta Struck..On The Board!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 10:04:12 PM »
That's what I'm talking about! Good job! Nice bird!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 10:17:11 PM »
That's what I'm talking about! Good job! Nice bird!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Thanks bud. What made the morning even better was that I had the opportunity to hunt with a good friend. He’s been chasing these birds around 40 years, maybe more, and is the deadliest turkey hunter anywhere around here. He’s a wealth of information on killing gobblers. I told him to do the calling, and I sat back and observed how he interacted and conversated with the birds. I’m never arrogant enough to think I’m the best, and I’m always open to learn more about this game. Picked up a couple new tricks just watching him today. We called in three jakes together to about twenty yards, and heard two other gobblers throughout the morning that weren’t very interested in us. Had a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline timberjack86

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 09:18:10 AM »
Congrats buddy! Make sure you post your pictures in the contest only pics thread at the top of the page to make it official!

Offline reflexl

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »
Huge congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline misfire

• Double Beard
    • Misfire Game Calls, custom duck and turkey calls
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 02:08:54 PM »
Heck yeah! Congratulations