OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Ported vs non ported  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Rambo93

Ported vs non ported
« on: March 29, 2020, 07:51:19 PM »
I have a mossberg 500 youth. 20 gauge. I’m going to be shooting tss 7 and 9 shot. Am I better off with Indian creek ported choke or Carlson tss non ported. I’ve read a lot of things say porting makes no difference. Both are .555 constriction. Does anyone know what the factory xfull mossberg choke is? I found 1 thing saying .585

Offline Rambo93

Re: Ported vs non ported
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 10:49:57 PM »
Ok scratch the Indian creek. Can’t find one anywhere. I’m looking for a good hunting pattern with capabilities to kill at 50 yards in case of yardage misjudge. Would I be better with 555 or 568 constriction. Generally speaking. I’m trying to set a gun up quick and cheap for this season then monkey in off season.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 11:08:43 PM »
Ok scratch the Indian creek. Can’t find one anywhere. I’m looking for a good hunting pattern with capabilities to kill at 50 yards in case of yardage misjudge. Would I be better with 555 or 568 constriction. Generally speaking. I’m trying to set a gun up quick and cheap for this season then monkey in off season.

Yes, probably difficult to find an IC this close to season. Might try a Carlsons in 555. I use a .555 and it patterns very well but mine is an IC. I have used a Kicks Gobbling Thunder as well with good results. Finally I use a Pattern master with number #4 TSS with extemely good patterns. I have also shot #6 lead through the Pattern Master with good results. I have always used ported chokes -seem to work fine for me. No kbnowledge on the mossburg x-full is however I would pattern that choke to start.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 07:54:35 PM »
#4 TSS...? WOW!!!! :funnyturkey: