OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: Choke tube help for lead shot?  (Read 1280 times)

Offline windywhitetails

Choke tube help for lead shot?
« on: January 09, 2021, 10:18:20 AM »
Hi, I'm looking for some help choosing a choke tube for my mossberg 930. I'm wanting to shoot copper plated lead shot #4 or#5 I have a carlson .660 and the factory accu choke .670. But I have read good things about Indian Creek and Sumtoy chokes are these designed more for TSS than lead? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Offline BandedSpur

Re: Choke tube help for lead shot?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »
I would certainly try the chokes you have with the shells you want to shoot before you spend money on choke tubes you might not need. The farthest distance that you can put 100 pellets in a 10" circle is your max range. That is much more likely with lead 5s than lead 4s, and the 5s have the energy to kill as far as your pattern will hold up. Having said that, Sumtoy and IC both make great chokes for TSS, HS, or lead. The constriction may be different depending on what shell you choose to shoot. Call either of those two choke tube builders and they will tell you what constriction they recommend based on the shell you want to shoot.

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2020 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 07:24:31 AM »
I would also give #6 shot a try out of the .660 choke. 3" shell would hold up well out to 40 yards.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline old3toe

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 10:29:07 PM »
 I've always had better luck with kicks GT chokes when shooting lead loads. I'd definitely try the chokes you have already but if you end up purchasing a choke or two to try I'd consider kicks for sure. Keep in mind it's harder to find a 4 shot choke and load combination that agree with each other versus the 5 and 6 shot loads. Just takes some more patterning and experimenting. For lead 5's in your gun I'd try .660 and .665 constriction first. For 6's I'd try .650-.665. And for 4's I'd try .665 and go up from there.

Offline dawei

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Olympia, WA
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 04:30:57 PM »
My son has very good performance from his MossbergĀ® Mdl 500C 12ga and #5 Pb loads using a Carlsons .660". Even patterns all the way to 40yds.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 12:37:06 PM »
Back when I shot Winchester Supreme number 5's,  I had my best results with a Compnchoke and my buddy used a Kicks Gobblin Thunder.   This was pre-hevishot and both are guns were 45 to 50 yard guns.

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 10:21:31 PM »
Carlson .665 has always done good for me
it's not the harvest,it's the chase