OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite Wild Game to Eat??  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
Re: Favorite Wild Game to Eat??
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2020, 01:30:58 PM »
My favorite is whatever sitting on the plate when it's time to eat. Ruffed Grouse, Pheasant, Turkey, Dove, waterfowl prepared correctly, Venison, Elk. Had some excellent fresh bear. Squirrel, Rabbit, stream trout, Walleye, panfish, the list goes on.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline mhamby

« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2020, 06:02:44 PM »
Bacon wrapped dove breasts that I marinate in Lawry’s signature Steakhouse seasoning.
As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2020, 09:24:50 PM »
I like lots of wild game, and I like to cook...I’ve a 3 ring binder full of good recipes.
But I can tell you what what usually results in no leftovers at my home...
1:  Wild turkey breast, chunked up, no sinew...dipped in milk, dredged in pancake batter, deep fried, Lawry’s sprinkled on...damn that sweet and salty taste is good.
2:  I’ll tell you what...eater sized channel cats from the little river by home are top notch...fillet the cats, soak in salt water overnight, then either freeze or cook fresh.  I like to chunk up the cat fillets, dip in milk, dredge in Andy’s cornmeal breading, then deep fry.
Now I’m hungry.
Greg
is your pancake batter dry? Or mixed and ready to make pancakes? Thanks I remember my buddy made fish with pancake batter but I assumed it was dry. Thanks

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2020, 09:09:44 PM »
Ruff Grouse, venison backstraps

Don’t get me started on seafood...
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline marshboy

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2020, 09:31:33 PM »
I like lots of wild game, and I like to cook...I’ve a 3 ring binder full of good recipes.
But I can tell you what what usually results in no leftovers at my home...
1:  Wild turkey breast, chunked up, no sinew...dipped in milk, dredged in pancake batter, deep fried, Lawry’s sprinkled on...damn that sweet and salty taste is good.
2:  I’ll tell you what...eater sized channel cats from the little river by home are top notch...fillet the cats, soak in salt water overnight, then either freeze or cook fresh.  I like to chunk up the cat fillets, dip in milk, dredge in Andy’s cornmeal breading, then deep fry.
Now I’m hungry.
Greg

Dry
is your pancake batter dry? Or mixed and ready to make pancakes? Thanks I remember my buddy made fish with pancake batter but I assumed it was dry. Thanks

Offline G squared 23

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2020, 10:14:36 PM »
Wild turkey is dead last, tied with the flying liver that is mallard duck.  If fish counts, I’m all in for crappie.  Followed by morels and then rabbit and then venison and doves.  Squirrels are edible too.  Sometimes.

Offline turkeymanjim

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2020, 07:11:07 AM »
Moose roast, chukar partridge breast.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2020, 09:09:58 AM »
It would be hard to beat fried young gray squirrels with biscuits and gravy. Even older squirrel pressure cooked and then fried are excellent.

Offline bwromine

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2020, 09:19:38 AM »
wild quail

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »
Turkey, deer in that order
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
Favorite Wild Game to Eat??
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »
I eat a lot of wild game. Hard to say what is best. Eaten a ton of it. My new favorite is something I saw on a food blog this winter. It was a lady who was really into duck....store bought duck. I was looking at one of her photos of Duck Bolognese and thought I'd try it but with wild duck. I did and it was INCREDIBLE. I was eating the leftovers for every meal until it was GONE. Here is the recipe and I'll try to dig up a photo too.

wild duck bolognese

ingredients:

1 1/2 cups finely diced carrots
1 1/2 cups finely diced celery
2 cups finely diced onions
2 tablespoons duck fat or olive oil
2 pounds ground duck (8 or 9 duck breasts)
1 cup red wine
3 cups beef stock
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup whole milk
Freshly grated parmesan
8 ounces pappardelle pasta
Salt and black pepper throughout the dish
direction

Create the soffrito of carrots, celery, and onions by pulsing your vegetables in a food processor until finely diced.
Heat the duck fat in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the sofrito with a little salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 5-8 minutes.
Begin to brown the ground duck a little at a time. Do not overcrowd the pan or else you will end up boiling the meat and not browning it. It will take longer this way, but I promise it’s worth it.
Once all the meat has browned, add the red wine, beef stock, and tomato paste. Season with salt and black pepper, about a 1/2 teaspoon of each. Turn the heat up to high and get the sauce boiling, then bring the heat back down to low and simmer, covered with a little gap for heat to escape, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally and taste the sauce for seasoning.
Heat the whole milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until the milk is steaming. Slowly pour it into the sauce, stirring to incorporate throughout. Let the sauce simmer for another 30 minutes.
Boil your pasta in lightly salted water per the package directions. Ladle the sauce over your cooked noodles and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Offline Rapscallion Vermilion

• Longbeard
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2020, 02:32:19 PM »
I eat a lot of wild game. Hard to say what is best. Eaten a ton of it. My new favorite is something I saw on a food blog this winter. It was a lady who was really into duck....store bought duck. I was looking at one of her photos of Duck Bolognese and thought I'd try it but with wild duck. I did and it was INCREDIBLE. I was eating the leftovers for every meal until it was GONE. Here is the recipe and I'll try to dig up a photo too.

wild duck bolognese

ingredients:

1 cup red wine
3 cups beef stock
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup whole milk
Freshly grated parmesan
direction

Create the soffrito of carrots, celery, and onions by pulsing your vegetables in a food processor until finely diced.
Heat the duck fat in a large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the sofrito with a little salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 5-8 minutes.
Begin to brown the ground duck a little at a time. Do not overcrowd the pan or else you will end up boiling the meat and not browning it. It will take longer this way, but I promise it’s worth it.
Once all the meat has browned, add the red wine, beef stock, and tomato paste. Season with salt and black pepper, about a 1/2 teaspoon of each. Turn the heat up to high and get the sauce boiling, then bring the heat back down to low and simmer, covered with a little gap for heat to escape, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally and taste the sauce for seasoning.
Heat the whole milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until the milk is steaming. Slowly pour it into the sauce, stirring to incorporate throughout. Let the sauce simmer for another 30 minutes.
Boil your pasta in lightly salted water per the package directions. Ladle the sauce over your cooked noodles and top with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

That looks awesome.  Thanks for posting the recipe - we will definitely give that a try.

Offline bobk

• In Memorial
  • Longbeard
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2020, 04:03:54 PM »

wild duck bolognese

ingredients:

1 cup red wine
3 cups beef stock
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup whole milk
Freshly grated parmesan
direction

The duck looks great. I passed your recipe onto my wife. Just need a few ducks.

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2020, 06:02:01 PM »
The Boss Hen's Fried Deer Steak!