OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite Wild Game to Eat??  (Read 5570 times)

Offline Brwndg

Re: Favorite Wild Game to Eat??
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 07:45:56 PM »
Squirrel and elk tenderloin
"If turkeys could smell, you'd never kill one" - Bud Trenis my turkey hunting mentor & dear friend

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 07:50:51 PM »
Turkey, moose n bear in no order. All fantastic.

Online Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2020, 08:19:20 PM »
Waterfowl cooked medium rare (in a variety of ways).  Specklebelly being one of my favorites.  Not all duck is created equal, and I am blessed to live in an area where I have some very fine eating waterfowl species to put on the table.

Snipe, and then dove (both cooked medium rare with orange sauce).  Snipe are actually delicious tasting birds, but you would not think so looking at them.

Mountain quail, then valley quail.  (This is my wife and youngest daughters favorite).  Most of the mountain quail I am shooting are on berries and taste pretty darn good.  They are also a larger quail species (closer to the size of a pigeon).

Pheasant and turkey fall to the bottom of the list, but both are fine meals.  I far prefer the dark meats, but quail do beat out the other upland birds (in my opinion).

I am surprised to see so many members who have eaten wild chuckar???  I have shot and eaten a few, and they can range from really gamey (especially for white meat) to fairly decent.  Pen raised chuckar are generally like eating small chickens, and in my opinion are not really comparable to wild birds in behavior or table quality.

Band-tailed pigeon can really vary in taste...  If they are on acorns, they can be tough to eat (the acorns in California are very bitter).  If they are on berries they can be as good or better than dove.

Big Game (which I do eat but generally do not have the opportunity to hunt):

Elk backstraps would go towards the top of the list, as would whitetail backstraps...  Blacktail deer are alright, but not as good eating as those corn-fed whitetails you have on the east side.

I have eaten really good bear meat, and I have had bear meat that was almost inedible.  If they are on berries, they can be quite tasty...  I had some (black bear) from Alaska, and would guess that he was on rotting salmon from the taste.

Buffalo steaks taste pretty much like grass-fed beef, and is good meat.   The one time I ate moose I enjoyed it as well.

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline idgobble

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 08:26:30 PM »
Ruffed grouse, moose, Dall Sheep, chukar, caribou and  just about any kind of quail. Stone's sheep and Rky. Mtn sheep weren't as good as Dall.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2020, 08:28:58 PM »
Red Snapper, Turkey, duck, lobster. Love it all. Love to catch my own lobster in Maine....
“Solo hunter”

Offline mudhen

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2020, 08:55:58 PM »
Specklebelly goose & yellow perch...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Offline tracker#1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Big game tracker with dogs, Oathkeeper, NRA Endowm
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 07:16:47 AM »
Young moose backstrap, Perch through the "ice"

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 08:33:05 AM »
Fried backstrap and redbellys. Redneck surf and turf.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 09:17:56 AM »
Quail
Elk
Bluegill
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline hotspur

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 09:26:47 AM »
Very limited experience, I would say venison, wild turkey , and greening teal

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2020, 11:15:02 AM »
The wild turkey I hunt at home I have not been able to beat as far as land based critters. From the ocean fresh caught Spanish mackerel pan fried is one of my favorite meals.

Offline Southerngobbler

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2020, 11:35:21 AM »
Most folks will overlook pigs cuz their destructive and a nuisance but the right pig can be very good eating especially if taken care of with respect like you would a deer or something else. Iv'e shot acorn fed pigs that had a good section of bacon, most over look the belly-nothing wrong with bacon.
Also if you've never had the bacon off a salmon(fatty stomach area) your missing out. It's amazing.
A lot of folks also throw away the dark meet of a turkey but even though its much more difficult to deal with it has an excellent flavor when slow cooked properly.

Offline DawgsFan1

• North MS
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2020, 11:49:32 AM »
Land creatures, fried deer.
If it swims, crappie.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.

Proverbs 3:5-6

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2020, 01:39:29 PM »
Fried turkey nuggets is as good as it gets to me.  I always hoard back a few for a sandwich the next day.

Blackened (or lemon pepper) redfish seared on cast iron. 

Snow goose breast - cleaned very well (no blood or feathers), marinated in sugar and salt, changing the water twice a day for two days.  Then grilled medium rare on charcoal.  Dunked in mayo/sour cream/horse radish dipping sauce.  As good as prime rib to me. 

Wood duck and yeller rice casserole. 

Chicken fried venison cube steaks. 

Both elk and moose were fantastic, but only had each once. Not many of those in my parts.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2020, 01:53:05 PM »
I eat every game animal I shoot. I have a lot of good recipes that my wife and I love, but we love our venison. I shoot about 6 deer every year to feed my wife and the family. The only red meat the wife and I buy is the occasional steak. Other than that, it's strictly venison. I also love turkey, hogs, ducks and squirrel.