OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Favorite Top Reed color  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Bwk

Favorite Top Reed color
« on: March 29, 2020, 09:27:16 AM »
What is everyone's favorite top reed color to use. Before I made my own calls it was black. Then it was the .004 Green from Pioneer but you can't get that anymore. Now it is the .004 Blue from Mitchell Johnson although it has changed a little bit too from a darker blue to a lighter blue so I am still figuring out the best stretch for it. Seems like when you get a killer combination worked out the next time you order supplies the latex is different but that is the fun part trying to build a new version every year! What's your favorite and where from?

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Favorite Top Reed color
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 12:12:55 PM »
I also love the Green .004 from Pioneer, however, I usually only make one call per year out of it because as you noted, it's gone.

After that, I always seem to keep coming back or .004 Red from Pioneer or .004 Yellow from Mitchell. Just seems like any combination I make with them produces a call that I can make a range of turkey sounds that fit my ear.

For whatever reason this post has made me wanna do more experimenting using different .003 colors as the top reed. Good Sunday activity to drive my lady nuts!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Offline maxbo36

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 01:03:22 PM »
I have a stockpile of some old Pioneer .004 Gray and .005 dark green that you cannot get anymore and really like them.  I have also been using some of Mitchells new .004 Dark green and have been liking it as well.

Offline Bwk

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 06:27:46 PM »
Yeah, I too have a small stockpile of the green from Pioneer and very protective of who I make one for!! Ha ha I heard Mitchell had some good green, guess I need to try some....

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 08:42:04 AM »
Pioneer .004 yellow in various combinations seems to produce the most consist sounds my ears like.  I haven't used some of the material mentioned by others here, so I might have to expand my inventory. 

I am constantly searching for that "holy grail" combination that will make every turkey vocalization flawlessly,...haven't found it yet.  I like making calls and experimenting, though,...and materials for mouth calls are cheap,...so I just keep searching for "The One".  Until I stumble onto it, I just keep experimenting.  In the meantime, I have dozens of calls with various combinations of materials, stretches, and cuts,...all of which I am confident I could take to the woods and call turkeys with.

However, calling turkeys versus satisfying my own personal "anal" search for perfection,...those are two different animals.  :)

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 08:12:11 PM »
How do you go about buying from Mitchell? Iv been using either the .04 purple or. 03 orange from pioneer with .025 green bottoms
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 08:35:47 PM »
How do you go about buying from Mitchell? Iv been using either the .04 purple or. 03 orange from pioneer with .025 green bottoms
I'd just send him a Facebook message. He's a super nice guy.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 12:06:02 AM »
I'd just send him a Facebook message. He's a super nice guy.

good deal thanks!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline OldSwamper

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 11:17:37 AM »
.004 yellow

Offline Bwk

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 09:00:43 AM »
Pioneer has  purple and orange? Doesn't show it online?

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 01:13:16 AM »
Pioneer has  purple and orange? Doesn't show it online? 

No sir I got the purple and orange from brookside  sorry

Offline Bwk

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 08:40:56 AM »
Gotcha, Thanks!

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 11:36:10 AM »
I build a yellow top Reed over two red reeds.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk