OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Watch your step  (Read 9163 times)

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Watch your step
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2020, 07:43:48 PM »
Looked it up, you were right about the rhyme, or close enough, it says it varies.
"The coral snake rhyme varies from person to person, but the general premise is the same: Red touch black, safe for Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow. The coral snake will have bands of red touching smaller bands of yellow."

http://www.wildlife-removal.com/snakecolorrhyme.html
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2020, 08:06:46 PM »
The bad thing about coral snakes are that they are the most venomous snakes in the States. Their venom affects the nervous system. The good thing is their mouthes do not hing like other snakes. They cannot open them wide enough to really get you unless on tips of fingers , toes or in between fingers and toes.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2020, 08:09:22 PM »
I watched a video of a cabelas snake boot seminar and the speakers said a snakebite medical treatment costs right around 75 grand,,,does that seem right??

Offline StruttinGobbler3

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Georgia
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2020, 08:44:31 PM »
I watched a video of a cabelas snake boot seminar and the speakers said a snakebite medical treatment costs right around 75 grand,,,does that seem right??
That estimate is low. Real low. The most common pit viper antivenom used for the common venomous snakes is the states is called Crofab. In most hospitals they will charge you roughly 15 thousand per vial, give or take a couple grand. On average you’ll get 4-6 vials for a bite. Bad cases can take up to 20 vials. Then you add up the other costs like ER visit, days spent in the hospital (possibly ICU, even more expensive), all the supplies used for your care, IV antibiotics and other medications to control your symptoms, daily lab testing, etc. you get the idea. That snakebite will most likely cost you anywhere from 200-500 thousand by the time it’s said and done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Offline Bonefishbill

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2021, 01:13:39 PM »
One encounter I had with a rather large Copperhead was in South East Ohio. Almost stepped on it while walking the two track down to my tree stand early one September morning.
Its hard to find locals that have even seen one-- other encounters in several timber rattlesnakes in Pa while fly fishing .

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2021, 07:24:55 PM »
Stepped on a Bull Snake Sunday.  My daughter was behind me and yelled SNAKE!  He was more scared of us as he darted for a hollow stump.   :TooFunny:

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2021, 09:13:08 PM »
It's clear that everyone has a great respect for snakes. I have encountered many different speices and just take them as they are. I always watch where I place my hands and feet as well as where I sit. In my area there are a lot of rattlesnakes and copper heads. In fact had one (copperhead) at my back door by the woodbox. Played with it awhile and then let it loose a bit farther out from the house.

Like all animals I do treat them with respect but not fear and I never kill a snake as I feel they are benificial to the enviroment and 90% of the time we are invading their turff.

I am very much aware of copperhead and rattlesnake bites. Have seen many water mocs but never seen a bite. In my experience a rattlesnake bite is much worse then a copper head. I worked in an ER for several years so seen alot. My suggestion in regard to snale bite is read up on emergency treatment and have the phone number of an area hospital avalible. Good insurance is also a plus. Don" rely on a go-fund-me account. LOL
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline bigriverbum

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2021, 10:08:17 PM »
Looked it up, you were right about the rhyme, or close enough, it says it varies.
"The coral snake rhyme varies from person to person, but the general premise is the same: Red touch black, safe for Jack. Red touches yellow, kills a fellow. The coral snake will have bands of red touching smaller bands of yellow."

isn't life incredible?!?

2 different species that evolved so similarly in some ways and so different in others

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2021, 06:08:42 AM »

isn't life incredible?!?

2 different species that evolved so similarly in some ways and so different in others
God had quite the imagination and way of  teaching us to pay attention.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2021, 08:32:13 AM »
When in doubt, skin him out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hughesjr60

« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2021, 08:56:56 AM »
We just got back from Northeast Alabama. Went down there camping with the family and got a 3 day hunting license. I was hunting a WMA and didn’t hear a single gobble which was tough but I had just crossed a creek and hopped up on a log and right before I jumped down a copperhead was laying right there and tried to move away and when I didn’t move fast enough he struck at me. He was still 18” away but it was enough for me to get out of there. Pressure didn’t seem to bad but it was some serious tough hunting!

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2021, 09:46:20 AM »
200k hospital bill, I need to buy some venomous snakes and milk em!

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2021, 12:03:12 PM »
I am always cautious when in the woods, and always wear snake boots except when it's very cold. I've killed about a dozen rattlers, half a dozen cottonmouths, 4 or 5 copperheads and a couple of coral snakes while hunting. Despite that caution, I've still been struck twice. Fortunately I was wearing snake boots at the time.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2021, 11:34:24 PM »
I’ve never seen a Coral snake. I don’t think I could kill one since they seem so rare and don’t really seem to pose much of a bite threat. I’ve sent a few rattlesnakes to the after life though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »
Watched a show a few years back about snake hunters who caught and milked the venom for antivenom serum. The one snake they could not find was a Coral snake and they said it was rare and reclusive. Never had any idea there were so many sub species of rattle snakes.