OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Sacrilege Question  (Read 1143 times)

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
Sacrilege Question
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:09:59 PM »
So, I first started spring turkey hunting over 20 years ago. Kind of came to it later in life.  Anyhow, I went out and bought an HS Strut Triple Glass call and learned to use it-buddy had one and swore by it.  I have, over the years had a few other calls gifted to me (one slate from a client that sounds very similar that I gave to my son and he has killed one with it-so I would like him to keep it) and bought a few others.  I will never be a collector.  I have a Yingling Wet Dry that I like a lot (one of only 2 I actually carry regularly now). 

My HS Strut crap call has so many firsts for me: my first called in gobbler, son's first turkey (jake) when he was 11, his first longbeard (when he was 14 or so).   I have called in birds for family and friends besides all the birds I have killed with it.  It just has a sentimental attachment and I like the way it sounds and a lot of birds have too.  The outer plastic has started to crack, but the call is still firmly seated. 

So my question is, if I were to have it reworked into a suitable call with some nice wood or something, would it likely change the tone?  Is this something people do, ie is it even possible?  Or should I just run it as is until it is time to retire it and find something else?

Thanks for any thoughts on the subject. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline doublespurs21

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Sacrilege Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:19:37 PM »
what are you calling it a crap call?? look at what that call did for you. a lot of first there, if it is broken , retire it on the wall ..

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 03:22:14 PM »
I for sure wouldn't change a pot call , that I've use and killed turkeys with , i would get with Mike on the forum and order another pot call, with the sound and tone that fits your needs the best for your hunting area.

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
I would not mess with it. Run it until it’s time to retire it. If that time is close begin looking for a replacement now.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 01:38:37 PM »
To me if you re-work the pot(if it's possible), it won't sound like it does now. Plus it just wouldn't be the same call....some of the same parts, but not the same call. To have it re-worked would probably cost just as much if not more than a new call.  I would say you have a couple of options: 1). Keep using it until it falls apart in your hands. Then glue it back together and put it on a shelf. Then pick up a new call. 2) Put it on a shelf now and pick up a new call.  Either way you are going to need a new call(or more ;D).  To me personally it sounds as if has earned the right to retire.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 06:30:46 PM »
I bet you cou;d just fix it with a little epoxy. I also have that call. I have had it for as long as you and it is a great sounding call. I still carry it even over my million dollar calls.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 06:55:08 PM »
Thanks y'all.  Seeing the edges split a bit got me to thinking.  Anything that changed the sound would be bad.  I like the idea of using it until I can't and then retiring it.

By crap call, I just meant non-fancy production call.  It sure does not owe me anything. I have gotten more than I paid for it for sure.  I'm sure a lot of it's success is my confidence in it. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »
Use her til she can't talk right.  Then put her in the nursing home (the shelf). 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 07:04:54 PM »
Some good news.  A kind member on here saw one on EBay and gave me the heads up.  So I now have a backup waiting in the wings. 

That's why I love this site. 

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 07:10:20 PM »
God bless my brother. A call that sacred is not replaceable in sacrilege, only material. You will build great memories with your new back-up, memories that will live forever........
“Solo hunter”

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 12:57:25 AM »
Glad to hear you found another. As for production calls, sometimes you find a winner. Primos’ Box Cutter was my favorite box. Lost mine. Replaced it couple times over with stuff I didn’t particularly like until I got a couple customs. But, that BC still had something about it. Member here found one, picked it up and sent it to me. Couldn’t been happier. Just because it’s production doesn’t make it bad. Having said that, I would’ve bought another Yingling. But I might be biased on that. Have a lot of pots (and sold or given away many) that are in my collection. Only a few by the same maker until you get to the Yingling section. Then you’ll find at least a dozen. But, don’t assume that production is bad. Some may sneer at it. Your opinion is all that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 08:47:13 AM »
Glad to hear you found another one. :icon_thumright: I understand what you are saying about it being a "crap call". My first call was H.S. Strut Lil' Deuce II slate. It brought quite few birds to their demise. Then I decided it wasn't good enough and ventured into the custom calls. I have roughly 20 custom calls from various makers...at times I wish I had that "crap call" back.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 01:03:01 PM »
That's funny capt, my son and nephew both run the Deuce and have both called in longbeards with it.