OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Jake or Gobbler Yelp  (Read 3737 times)

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Jake or Gobbler Yelp
« on: March 27, 2020, 01:54:03 AM »
Have you or do you ever use Jake yelps or gobbler yelps while calling birds ?  Have you ever heard Jake or Gobbler yelps ?

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Jake or Gobbler Yelp
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:57:26 AM »
Fall alot. Spring yes ive heard them and use them at times.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 02:34:57 AM »
I have seen jakes yelp in front of me during the spring...  The time that stands out, is after shooting a tom in a group of jakes...

Honestly, I have not heard them enough to know what I am listening to, but the hens tend to have a faster cadence, and a bit higher pitched yelp than the jakes...

If I want to sound like a male, I tend to gobble at them...  If I am yelping, I try to sound like a hen.  That might change were I confident in making jake yelps, and knowing when it would be prudent to do so.  But I have not observed this behavior often enough to know when the best times to do so would be?  Nor have I heard enough jake yelps to confidently imitate them.

Granted, when I have close birds (not quite in range) that are walking away, I throw everything I can think of at them...  Clucks, cuts, yelps, fighting purrs, gobbles, and I would not be opposed to a jake yelp.  So far I used every call I can think of outside of saying "GET BACK HERE NOW!"
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline RiverRat213

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 05:40:40 AM »
Heard them all yelp and all gobble (including hens). Jake yelps are a trap for older gobblers here is how it works.
Group of Jake's walking down the field, hear a boss Tom gobble. When they get around the bend they notice he has some females with him. They devise a plan, they will all gang up on him and take his ladies. So they hide back in the woods and start soft yelping. Note: Only one of the thug Jake's does this. While the Jake is playing transgender his so buddies circle around towards the ladies. Once the tranny has the Tom's attention and is headed that way the boys of summer swoop in and gang rush ol' Tom and take his ladies. If you can Jake yelp you can hen yelp. Why take the chance on Jake yelping in front of your friends and being tagged tranny? Lol
It's hunting get out and "Get Some"!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 07:27:55 AM »
Heard it many times but have never used it. I have used a gobble call with some success over the years.

Offline hotspur

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 07:39:48 AM »
I've tried them for a while, most common reaction was a gobble every once in a while, , hen yelps have worked better to get turkeys to come to me, hen assembly calls have called in gobblers,  Jakesand hens, feeding sounds too

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:46:22 AM »
Good post Greg. I have only heard the gobbler yelp a few times over the years. Low, deep, little gravly. This happened when I worked a gobbler for a long period of time. As he searched for me, he had a soft yelp over our several hour confrontation. I ended up getting these guys, but it was a weird experience hearing that yelp. Very distinctive.......
“Solo hunter”

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 07:49:17 AM »
I’ve heard Jake yelps quite a bit in the spring. Never really use the Jake yelp in hunting.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 08:02:19 AM »
Have heard it and used it, I have had jakes "Yaulk" after a tom gobbles. I have used it in place of a "gobble" and making the call right after a tom gobbles. It would sound like a jake moved in on a hen that a tom was responding to. A "Gobble" and "Yaulk" are the only calls I will use if I am going to respond immediately to a toms gobble, I never respond to a toms gobble with hen calls.

MK M GOBL

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 08:41:17 AM »
I have used it a couple times with success  both times it was when there was a Tom a Jake and a hen.Both times the tom was aggressive towards the Jake and when I jake yelped the tom came looking.I have never used it just blind calling I too gi to my Gobbler call.Might have to try it when things are slow.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 09:01:25 AM »
I have heard and seen gobblers yelp that sounded just like a hen yelp would,....and I have heard and seen hens yelp that sound just like you would think a jake or gobbler yelp would.  Turkeys have different voices. 

Gobblers you are calling go to the voice that they decide suits them.  How they interpret the calling they hear in terms of whether it is another gobbler, a jake, or just a raspy old hen is anybody's guess. 

Don't overthink it,...just try to sound like a turkey and figure out what they want to hear.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2020, 09:23:41 AM »
I’ve used it n called in birds w it. It’s def a good technique. Lots of folks use gobbles. They have some luck there. As stated sometimes gobblers could sound like hens but the opposite seems less true in my experience. If you use jake yelps per se, a little lower, slower n less, say you were on state land? W a gobble you’d def have co. Maybe you would w any turkey sound but bring lots of guys have no idea of the difference they don’t suspect “male”. Great challenging technique and if you’re hearing gobbler/jake yelps to the right a ways or lighter hen yelps to the left a ways I’d play the odds n head toward gobbler sounds.
Gobbler sounds work, yelping, clucking, fight rattles (prob the most exciting) and gobbles. Just more technique to try. If you don’t no way to be sure it doesn’t work.
I’ll say one here too. Mentioning the fight rattles. I bet ya I’ve killed near 30 birds w dm throughout the years. Used to be a bread n butter call it seemed. When all else failed that one worked. It seems to ebb n flow now but it’s still viable. Same w gobbler yelps. One more thing to try in just the right situations

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 09:26:32 AM »
A true gobbler yelp is something that's not gonna be confused, it's such a low and slow yelp it almost sounds like a scratchy dog bark. It's not a sound that all calllers can make, some just don't have a low enough tone to make it. Most top shelf box call makers will have a jake or gobbler in there box, you just gotta find it. Many pot calls can't do both, but there are exceptions.

If you're working a hen'd up dominant bird that has no interest, sometimes a little hen talk followed by two or three hard gobbler yelps will change his tune quickly.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »
Jake and Gobbler yelp is something us old timers have been using for years , during the spring , i agree there is a time to use it on gobblers that hang up say around 50 yards or so and we have been very successful in using it. My suggestion is make that Jake or Gobbler yelp on a different call than the call your using to call hen's with in trying to use the Jake or gobbler yelp. Do you remember back years ago , a box call would have a deeper tone and throaty side and then hen side. This is something the old times believed in using. I don't think it's over thinking it at all , it's another tool in your bag of tricks.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2020, 10:17:38 AM »
Jake and Gobbler yelp is something us old timers have been using for years , during the spring , i agree there is a time to use it on gobblers that hang up say around 50 yards or so and we have been very successful in using it. My suggestion is make that Jake or Gobbler yelp on a different call than the call your using to call hen's with in trying to use the Jake or gobbler yelp. Do you remember back years ago , a box call would have a deeper tone and throaty side and then hen side. This is something the old times believed in using. I don't think it's over thinking it at all , it's another tool in your bag of tricks.

I agree entirely that hunters should vary their calling in some situations as needed to include using what we would call jake or gobbler yelps.  My point is that the turkey that hears it is not necessarily interpreting it as such.  Sure, they might be,...but then again, a gobbler may think that low voice it is hearing is from a raspy old hen turkey that he is familiar with.  Again,...just figure out what it takes to get that gobbler to come to you (if he will at all),...and do that....  :)