OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Jake or Gobbler Yelp  (Read 3869 times)

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Jake or Gobbler Yelp
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 10:23:12 AM »
Jake and Gobbler yelp is something us old timers have been using for years , during the spring , i agree there is a time to use it on gobblers that hang up say around 50 yards or so and we have been very successful in using it. My suggestion is make that Jake or Gobbler yelp on a different call than the call your using to call hen's with in trying to use the Jake or gobbler yelp. Do you remember back years ago , a box call would have a deeper tone and throaty side and then hen side. This is something the old times believed in using. I don't think it's over thinking it at all , it's another tool in your bag of tricks.

I agree entirely that hunters should vary their calling in some situations as needed to include using what we would call jake or gobbler yelps.  My point is that the turkey that hears it is not necessarily interpreting it as such.  Sure, they might be,...but then again, a gobbler may think that low voice it is hearing is from a raspy old hen turkey that he is familiar with.  Again,...just figure out what it takes to get that gobbler to come to you (if he will at all),...and do that....  :)
  Agree , good post ..

Offline Southernson13

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 12:40:43 PM »
At the end of the season when they are back in bachelor groups I have yelped back and forth with Jake's drawing the group closer to me. Slower cadence and more rasp.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 01:25:39 PM »
I hear them and use them both spring and fall along with using a gobble call.

I think turkeys know exactly the difference in what they are hearing (interpret) when they hear old hen yelps vs Jake or gobbler yelps when done by other turkeys or someone who is proficient on a call.

in the pinhoti episode from a couple days ago (Fl. public land confrontation), listen to the cadence and pitch shift at 15:22-15:24 as Dave switches over to Jake yelps.

and in the back ground you can hear the gobbler cut him off when he shifts to Jake yelps.

The Denny Gulvas DVD's have many examples of real gobbler/Jake vocals along with him explaining how to do it on a diaphragm call.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2020, 02:23:59 PM »
I heard a crazy fight rattle on opening day  this year from 100 yards away across a river.  They would not respond to a yelp, but when I did a kee kee with some very choppy yelping (I was trying to sound like a lost jake), they fired up and actually started fighting again.  I did it one last time and they flew straight across to me.  That was what seemed to set them off, so I used it.  It may have been I could have done it with just a yelp, but they did not gobble back to a yelp, so I tried something different. honestly, I just wanted to fire them up, never really expected them to fly across.  But desperate times call for desperate measures.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline THattaway

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Worship the LORD, not His creation.
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 02:33:16 PM »
Didn’t read all the responses so pardon if this has already been stated. Yes I use a jake/gobbler yelp occasionally. Has worked once in a while to bring a Tom in for a look after he’s responded to hen calls but hung up out of sight. I make these using a deeper raspy side of a box call, start with a sharp cluck and drag the lid (especially first note) for a longer slower yelp. That sharp cluck and dragging first note of yelp is what I’ve picked up on with jake/gobbler yelps so I try to mimic it.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

“The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill.”-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Offline PALongspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 07:11:08 PM »
I tend to gobbler/jake Yelp quite a bit in the spring and it's made the difference for me on more than one occasion. I always remember my late father using the right side of his Lynch box on almost every gobbler he set up on, I guess its stuck with me. I prefer a slate or 4 read diaphragm but I'll also use a trumpet or longbox for gobbler sounds.

I called a 1 1/4" spurred bird away from hens last year with Jake yelps. Had I not tried, he wouldn't have gotten a Tacoma ride that morning.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 07:50:35 PM »
Definitely a lot in the fall while deer hunting in Ohio. I was deer hunting in Florida one time and had a jake walk by yelping. Just this morning I heard what had to be a jake yelping. Distinctive difference in tone.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 11:23:57 AM »
I almost always try to sound like more than 1 bird. And many times I try to sound like a Jake or gobbler is coming in to see the hen. It appeals to all birds , male and female.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 12:05:04 PM »
It's my go to on hung up gobblers that are responding. When he gobbles at my hen yelping I will Jake yelp right back sometimes even cutting off his gobble. If he's waiting for the hen to come to him I try and simulate that she has a Jake for company and isn't interested in budging her position either. It's worked more then a few times at getting him to commit.

With turkeys jealous is often a greater motivator then love.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 01:18:06 PM »
To revisit this thread...

Opening day was this weekend, and I interacted with more groups of jakes than I ever had before.  I saw (and heard) more jakes yelping than I have ever seen before.

In many cases, the sound difference (between hens) can very subtle, and other birds were gobbling at the jakes yelping.  Maybe the gobbles were due to an aggressive response, or maybe the birds themselves cannot tell the difference?

Several times, jakes came into us gobbling, did not see a hen (where she should be) and started yelping.  At one point, I had jakes come in from straight in front (hiding in a small brush pile with rocks), and one jake went to either side of my hide and started fervently yelping on either side of me (I could discern no difference between this yelping and normal hen yelping)...  Three more jakes just behind them then started gobbling.

I also noticed a group of jakes and hens (jakes strutting and gobbling), and when the hens started moving and yelping, the jakes were yelping back.

Watching all of this unfold, I am uncertain as to how it will make any difference in hunting strategy.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
The jakes and gobblers that I have watched yelp had a very different yelp than any hen i have ever seen yelping.  The adult gobblers i have watched yelp had a very deep course and slow yelp. Clucks have been deep sounding too.  I have used those calls in the spring but cant really say with what success as during those times I have been using hen calling as well. Kind of like using multiple hen calls. Which one done him in when he gobbles at multiple calls?

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 08:37:43 AM »
All the info you want, read Ray Eye's books. He's been an advocate of goggler/jake yelping for years and it delivers for him and I have used it at times over years. Parks makes a gobbler pot and it works. I can't say enough about Ray Eye. he knows his stuff. People bad mouth him but to their detriment and loss. Another advocate for gobbler calls is Larry Proffitt, a turkey hunter who has lived his life a student of Master Calling the Wild Turkey, Read his book "Letters to my Grandson." My  :z-twocents: worth.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline POk3s

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 10:27:55 AM »
Most of you have called in a ton more gobblers than me, but I did use a jake yelp with success a few years ago. I had a jake and hen decoy out. I had 2 hens RUN in while the other 4 stayed out with the gobbler. The whole flock ended up skirting me about 80-100 yards away and so I tried a jake yelp as a last resort after a half hour of throwing everything I had at them. He gobbled every time I did it and finally let his hens drift ahead of him as he strutted over to take peak at the “jake”. It was his demise.

I made the call by basically saying “doo doo doo” into the mouth reed.