OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: turkey shot with bow @105 yards  (Read 2941 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Rod Bender Charters
Re: turkey shot with bow @105 yards
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 01:45:35 PM »
The total combined distance of the 13 I have taken with a recurve is less than 105 yards.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 02:11:20 PM »
Was it that Tim Wells guy? He has a ton of u-tube vids up doing crazy stuff like spear hunting water buffalo and blowgun hunting bears. They had some long range bow shots on african game and one where he shot a running griz at 90 something yards with a bow hitting it in the head, killing it. I certainly not condoning the long range bow shooting, but the blowgun hunting was insane.

The bear wasn't that far and it wasn't running but he most definitely hit it right between the eyes and dropped it on the spot! Tim Wells is the real deal!
It's been quite awhile since i watched it. Could have sworn it was 90 or 100 yards. My memory isn't what it used to be lol.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 02:19:54 PM »
Was it that Tim Wells guy? He has a ton of u-tube vids up doing crazy stuff like spear hunting water buffalo and blowgun hunting bears. They had some long range bow shots on african game and one where he shot a running griz at 90 something yards with a bow hitting it in the head, killing it. I certainly not condoning the long range bow shooting, but the blowgun hunting was insane.

The bear wasn't that far and it wasn't running but he most definitely hit it right between the eyes and dropped it on the spot! Tim Wells is the real deal!
It's been quite awhile since i watched it. Could have sworn it was 90 or 100 yards. My memory isn't what it used to be lol.
Before my car accident I really wanted to go on a bear hunt and did a lot of reading about it and had about half the money saved, the one thing I remember all of them saying is to never shoot a bear in the head because of the thickness of the skull and the way the skull angles. It sounds more like a very lucky shot to me than something the makes him "The Real Deal"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 03:08:02 PM »

Before my car accident I really wanted to go on a bear hunt and did a lot of reading about it and had about half the money saved, the one thing I remember all of them saying is to never shoot a bear in the head because of the thickness of the skull and the way the skull angles. It sounds more like a very lucky shot to me than something the makes him "The Real Deal"
If you've ever shot in a league, 3d or hunted with him you would know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 03:12:43 PM »

If you've ever shot in a league, 3d or hunted with him you would know.

That he takes unethical shots?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 03:37:35 PM »
Here we go....ethics police,elite old school hunter,know it all key board expert,mighty king of OG. With a sharp broadhead,animals are easily killed and recovered. Ever read any Fred Bear books?

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Online g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 05:04:35 PM »
We got plenty of those on here fall, but die ain't one of them. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 08:40:17 PM »
Here we go....ethics police,elite old school hunter,know it all key board expert,mighty king of OG. With a sharp broadhead,animals are easily killed and recovered. Ever read any Fred Bear books?

Here we go, those that care more about a kill then giving the animals the respect and clean death they deserve. Old school = respect for the quarry, New School = Glory hound, whatever it takes, let animal suffer. Yes I have, I own them all.

We got plenty of those on here fall, but die ain't one of them. 
Thank you.

John Koenig:

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
Making the shot on a target is absolutely cool. Nothing better than a long flight of an arrow to watch it arch into 3D animal. Taking that same shot even if you could perhaps sometimes make it is irresponsible. Taking it even if you can ALWAYS make it is irresponsible.
Raven, the crossbow idiots tote their “100 yard” bow. Big freakin deal. When I was sick two crossguns were dropped off at my place. At 60 yards I was hitting a matchbook with my non dominant eye and non practiced hand. I bet 100 yards would be doable but who wants to??? What’s the challenge??
The second I could manage a 42lb recurve I was back to a mans bow shooting at reasonable range. I’m now back up to low 60s w a stykbow.
Guess my point is what idiot promotes long range shots when you know some newby will be trying to reproduce the Hail Mary shots. Totally stupid and the game suffers cause the moron has more ego than brains. Most guys can’t shoot a slug gun accurately at 100 yards.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 09:15:00 PM »
Making the shot on a target is absolutely cool. Nothing better than a long flight of an arrow to watch it arch into 3D animal. Taking that same shot even if you could perhaps sometimes make it is irresponsible. Taking it even if you can ALWAYS make it is irresponsible.
Raven, the crossbow idiots tote their “100 yard” bow. Big freakin deal. When I was sick two crossguns were dropped off at my place. At 60 yards I was hitting a matchbook with my non dominant eye and non practiced hand. I bet 100 yards would be doable but who wants to??? What’s the challenge??
The second I could manage a 42lb recurve I was back to a mans bow shooting at reasonable range. I’m now back up to low 60s w a stykbow.
Guess my point is what idiot promotes long range shots when you know some newby will be trying to reproduce the Hail Mary shots. Totally stupid and the game suffers cause the moron has more ego than brains. Most guys can’t shoot a slug gun accurately at 100 yards.

I could not agree more.

John Koenig:

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 09:30:12 PM »
+1^

It’s hunting! Get close and dispatch the animal! Show some hunting skill!
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2020, 02:33:38 PM »
The total combined distance of the 13 I have taken with a recurve is less than 105 yards.
Good one.
My longbow is for sure a close in weapon.
I did get a turkey once at 87 yards , took 7 shots at it.

Finally hit the nail head they had in that mckenzie targets breast and took it home!

Offline Pluffmud

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 06:10:51 AM »
I think that if you want to kill a turkey with a bow at 105 yds, more power to ya!
Psalm 46:10

Offline wvmntnhick

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2020, 07:30:33 AM »
I'm more of a 22 mag guy.
Ditto. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk