OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Common mistakes  (Read 15348 times)

Offline Tclipse01

Re: Common mistakes
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2022, 04:59:50 PM »
Understanding terrain...

On a recent hunt, I was reminded of several things regarding terrain.

Acoustics in the woods, especially with hilly terrain can be quite deceiving.  A bird across another ridge sounds quite loud...  As he drops down to come towards me, it actually sounds like his considerably further.  Then all the sudden "BAM!" there is a gobble that is right in front of me as he clears that next ridge.

I made this mistake last spring and it almost cost me a bird. I was calling across a ravine to a gobbler, and stood up to close some ground. As soon as I stood up, the tom and three hens came popping out of the ravine on my side, about 30 yards away, too close to move for a shot. The hill had blocked the sound incredibly well, sounded like they were 100+ away in some pines.

I stood still and managed not to bust them, let them pass, backed out, and re-set about 200 yards ahead. Had some good luck and got the bird, but man would I have been kicking myself all season for that one. Lesson learned.

Offline Ches.

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2022, 12:32:51 PM »
I by no means consider myself an expert and the birds continue to teach me lessons every year. To me, every bird is different, kind of like us. For the most part, I:
- Don't call loud
- Limit my calling if the answer on the roost, although it's fun to banter back and forth with him.
- Call more to the Hens than to the Tom's if you think he has a bunch of hens. I find it easier to get the hens to come to you than to get the Tom away from them.
- Sit it out, 10:00 - 2:00 can be a great time of day. However, I like getting out there 30 minutes prior to light just to listen, that's the fun time of the day for me.
- I don't use decoys anymore, everyone has had different experiences with them. I am not going to say what is right or wrong.

But, I toss all this if a hot Tom starts to come in on a string. I have shot and missed, only to get the same bird fired up and come in 10 minutes later. Go figure.
Ches.

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2022, 10:26:03 AM »
A nap in my turkey lounger is just part of a nice spring morning in the turkey woods. At least on two occasions, I've been awakened by toms putting the hurt on my decoys. My advice would be to realize that turkeys have all day to wander in their territory and may show up an hour or so after your last call, so stay 20-30 minutes past when you have the urge to head for the truck...and enjoy your nap!

Offline Prospector

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2023, 03:53:59 PM »
A nap in my turkey lounger is just part of a nice spring morning in the turkey woods. At least on two occasions, I've been awakened by toms putting the hurt on my decoys. My advice would be to realize that turkeys have all day to wander in their territory and may show up an hour or so after your last call, so stay 20-30 minutes past when you have the urge to head for the truck...and enjoy your nap!
GOLD!????????
No matter how good you call, how good your gun patterns or how woodswise you are, you can’t kill him if he ain’t there….

Offline Prospector

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2023, 04:26:50 PM »
Previous didn’t translate well. My meaning was this was a solid (gold) tip.
And- what’s effective in one place may not be in others. An example of this is “when he s henned up, call aggressively and challenge the boss hen or hens”. This is one of the tried and true and you hear it all the time. For some reason though it just doesn’t prove effective where I hunt/ or perhaps I’m not effective at it. Either way, aggressive calling to the hen or hens just moves her away- even if she’s calling back! Now I have had limited luck by taking a softer approach eg not trying to override her. Doesn’t mean it’s not an effective tactic where you are or in your hands. Time and experience in your own area will show you which tactics you employ or adopt are effective- and, guess what? None will be 100%! It’s why it’s so beloved….
No matter how good you call, how good your gun patterns or how woodswise you are, you can’t kill him if he ain’t there….

Online Lcmacd 58

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
  • Shoot 'em close
« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2023, 07:03:17 AM »
All good advice ..... in most cases concerning calling....less is best....and a quiet call is always good .....he can hear you

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2023, 02:10:18 PM »
A gobbler will never shy away from the sound of scratching leaves with the right cadence……
“Solo hunter”

Offline Haggstromjohnd

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2023, 09:55:42 PM »
Love the info gentleman thanks for sharing