OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Common mistakes  (Read 15532 times)

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
Re: Common mistakes
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2020, 08:13:46 PM »
Have run in to this a few times and now it is as soon as we get out of the truck, and yes did it to myself first.

Cell phone is on silent, turned off or stays in the truck. First did this to myself and ruined a hunt while the gobbler was in sight but still out of range, well that ringtone sent him running... Next time I had a youth hunter with me and somewhat the same, set in the timber bird working and mom called to wish him luck... whoops.

Now it is an every hunt thing I ask, not been an issue since. Had a few friends it happened to them too.

MK M GOBL

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2020, 08:20:02 PM »
My advice, 

1. Don't be afraid of the turkey.   I've seen guys that just freeze up when they engage a a turkey.   Afraid to do anything, turkey loses interest and walks off.  Then after the fact the hunter is full of woulda, coulda, shoulda's.  The worst thing that can happen is you mess up and spook him.  No biggie, try him another day.  Mistakes are nothing more than learning experiences.   

2. You will here patience, patience, patience.   Patience kills turkeys.  I agree with this to a point.  But patience has saved as many birds as its killed.   You can patience yourself out of a kill pretty quick.  I lean towards patiently aggressive.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2020, 11:08:08 PM »
 Sit still.  I mean REALLY sit still!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline Loyalist84

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2020, 12:54:54 AM »
Be patient, don’t call too much, don’t move and don’t lift your head off the gun.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
You will here patience, patience, patience.   Patience kills turkeys.  I agree with this to a point.  But patience has saved as many birds as its killed.   You can patience yourself out of a kill pretty quick.  I lean towards patiently aggressive.

Couldn't agree more.  Don't pigeon-hole yourself into thinking that the only way to kill a gobbler is to be patient to the point of not being willing to change your tactics to something different when needed. The one sentence "you can patience yourself out of a kill pretty quickly" is right on target.

While there are definitely times when patience is a virtue and should not be discounted, there are also times for "action" rather than patience.  Unfortunately, much of the intuition needed to know when to do one or the other is a function of experience. 

Of course, doing one or the other is, to a degree, tempered by where and under what conditions one is hunting, as well. 

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2020, 10:43:53 AM »
Don’t let them know you exist.  Kenny Morgan and I took a very rare hunt together with a friend on his place one morning and the friend said “I hate to hunt this turkey: he saw me last week.”  The gobbler apparently still remembered.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 10:45:20 AM »
My advice, 

2. You will here patience, patience, patience.   Patience kills turkeys.  I agree with this to a point.  But patience has saved as many birds as its killed.   You can patience yourself out of a kill pretty quick.  I lean towards patiently aggressive.

Patiently aggressive is really well put. I feel like the need for extreme amounts of patience can be mitigated to a large degree by putting yourself in a position close to the bird in the direction he wants to move to begin with. And realizing based on how he reacts to your setup that your initial guess on being close enough and in the proper direction may have been inaccurate.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 11:34:21 AM »
Couldn't agree more.
Uh-oh!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Offline Bearcat1997

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 03:08:04 PM »
Sit still.  I mean REALLY sit still!
I couldn't agree more

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 03:41:38 PM »
Here’s a couple that may be more technique or how to. You need to find birds. Not a bird and not in one place to raise odds. . You need options if one doesn’t pan out, gets killed, chased by coyotes or dogs, etc. setting a spot and using rotting in that one spot ( such as pre setting a blind location) is sure to lessen your odds if you over hunt it or spook em from it. You need to be mobile

You must hunt where the birds are. Very often new folks think calling is some magical thing. Think more towards coaxing, at least initially/basically. If the birds already wanna go there, you’re there before them, they don’t see you set up, a few soft yelps, clucks or even scratching leaves may be all you need to be the best “caller” in your neck of the woods. On the other hand a contest caller in a bird less area is calling nothing.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 06:03:53 PM »
One thing everyone overlooks. If you cover more than 100 yards in less than 10 minutes, you are walking too fast and bumping birds. Patience, hunt slowly.... :turkey2:
“Solo hunter”

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 10:12:54 AM »
The biggest mistake anyone will ever make is starting to hunt theses crazy birds in the first place, its like crack cocaine I'll try it to see if I like it then your hooked for life.

Offline Bearcat1997

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »
A mistake I have noticed is not paying attention to the signs other wildlife give me. I have been ready for the tom to show himself multiple times because I picked up on small clues from other animals. For example, a blue jay going crazy, a squirrel suddenly running up a tree, or a sudden influx of small birds flying by me from an area is usually a clue that the bird is working my way.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 02:42:12 PM »
Asking total strangers on a turkey forum for advice can be a big mistake.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 03:23:12 PM »
Asking total strangers on a turkey forum for advice can be a big mistake.
Wish we had a like button for that one. This site has some good guys though your post got me laughing