Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vortex Venom-Burris Fastfire 3-Nikon Spur?

Started by RED NECK, March 26, 2020, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I am looking to purchase one of these three reflex/red dots the next few weeks for a 20 gauge.I would like to hear from the guys that have or do own one or all of these sights.I am leaning towards the Vortex Venom at this time.

What are pro's and con's of these three?
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

PEPPERHEAD

I've had or have all of them. Just bought a King Slayer too. All quality red dots. The Vortex would probably be my favorite but the circle dot on the Slayer is really nice. I just haven't hunted with it enough to know how it is in the woods.

SumToy

Burris has the FF4 on the way.    :z-winnersmiley:

We have the Burris FF3 in a package deal now.   

The Burris has and Vortex seem to be the go to.   The SwampFox we have had in shop and seems to be good sight just little bigger then the Burris or Vortex. 

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

FL-Boss

ahfox16

Gobbler428

I've used the Vortex Venom for two seasons now and have no complaints.

RED NECK

I am still undecided,I want one but I am now down to either the burris fastfire 3 or vortex venom and the price jumped 70 dollars on amazon for these and I cant find them priced decently up here in Ontario yet.I am just not willing to pay 450-500 dollars for a red dot/reflex sight.My limit would be around 350 after taxes,I am tired of the price gouging up here.They can keep them and I will shoot bead and buy a set of fiber optics or just use a scope I have already,I have the money and could purchase but I just think they are trying to screw people on them up here.It has gotten out of control.I will keep looking and hopefully find one on sale here in the next two weeks,if not. Oh well.I already have lots of options.

RED NECK

I just went ahead and purchased the vortex venom CAD $428.27 was cost,free shipping.I figured fk it,I want it and I can afford it.

Rambo93

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on April 02, 2020, 05:54:21 PM
I just went ahead and purchased the vortex venom CAD $428.27 was cost,free shipping.I figured fk it,I want it and I can afford it.
What was the price in US dollars. Palmetto State Armory has them on sale for $179.99 USD

RED NECK

I don't know exactly or worry,the us does not export that stuff without extensive paperwork.However it would still be approx $300.00 plus import fees,taxes,shipping and handling fees etc,so It isn't worth the hassle to try and save 20-35 dollars in the end.

sixbird

Looking at Burris and Vortex information and they both have the auto setting for brightness so that issue not a deciding one. They both have a forever warranty also.
Burris claims weather resistant. Vortex water proof, (I've never had an issue with Burris even in a downpour).
The multicoating on the lens on Burris is between two pieces of glass. Vortex is on the lens surface. That could be an issue.
Burris operating temp. is -10 to 130...Vortex 22 to 122. For turkey hunters that should be a non issue except if you're out west early, that 22 degrees on the Vortex might be on the edge of it's capability.
Vortex has ten brightness settings in manual mode and an auto setting. Burris has 3 manual and an auto. I normally use the auto only on my Burris. I question the value of 10 settings.
Weight, .9 oz. for Burris, 1.1 oz. for Vortex. No real difference there.
Both have top load battery. That's an important feature since you don't need to take the sight off of the firearm to replace battery.
Pricewise. The Burris lists for $299. It sells for around $236. The Vortex lists for $329 and sells for around $229, so no significant difference there.
So, there's the comparison. Both great sights. I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

Dewey_11

Vortex venom here and I have no complaints. Can't comment on the others. Vortex lifetime warranty is awesome also

dzsmith

vortex venoms have had a plethora of failures in the past year. an obvious QC issue. I know a guy whose on his fourth one because they just simply quit turning on. Yes I know they have a good warranty....but those kind of failures aren't worth the warranty..especially if it happens in season. Perhaps just a bad run of sights...but ill stick with the fast fire. I have 2 and know a gazillion people with them with zero issues.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Upfold99

RED NECK

I bought a venom April 2nd and opened it April 17th mounted it and went on 18th to pattern and It was faulty from the factory,they sent me another one in two days.I still have not opened it.I may sell it.I am done with them.I will use beads,fiber optics or a scope. I couldn't be bothered with either of the other two as I just don't trust them.