OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Setting up turkey blind do turkeys pay attention?  (Read 2454 times)

Offline Bobby5

Setting up turkey blind do turkeys pay attention?
« on: March 26, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
  I was gonna set up a turkey blind to hunt out of this year. I was curious its about 3.5 weeks till season starts and didnt know if i set it up now it spook them off since there not use to it? I was gonna set it up and throw some corn and sunflower seeds around it just to let them get use to it. Im in no way thinking of baiting i was just gonna get them around it to let them get use to it. Season starts april 22nd.
Thanks 

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Setting up turkey blind do turkeys pay attention?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 02:08:37 PM »
I normally set mine up about a week before the season with no ill effects. Set it up in a shady area if you can, it is better for the blind and for hunting.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 02:11:12 PM »
They will not pay attention to a blind...  Heck, unless you put spinning lights on it, I do not think they would be bothered by a rainbow colored tent (which you could probably hunt out of successfully).

I have been hunting, only to watch birds strutting at my truck on one occasion, at my quad on several occasions, and on one property someone abandoned a bright orange car, that was apparently some sort of strutting area for birds...  I actually considered hiding behind that car, but deemed it a bit "unfair."

I also think I could park my truck in a good area and call birds up to the truck, as long as the birds do not hear any unusual noise (such as a radio) or see me move in the truck...

So to answer your question, unless the birds are heavily pressured, I do not think that blinds scare them at all (unlike waterfowl).  Now...  Wiggling your pinky at them at a hundred yards away will make them run for the hills.  A poorly timed cough or sneeze can make them take flight...  From my observations, the two things that put turkeys on alert are movement and sound.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 04:32:24 PM »
Putting bait out pre-season and then hunting where the bait was deposited is still baiting.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 05:02:20 PM »
I agree silvestris.  And they have made cases with duck hunters putting out bait next to a pole in the water or some marker and then leaving it there after the bait is gone that still constitutes baiting.  Famous case in Mississippi with some big wigs.

When my son was young, I always carried one of those little pop up screen type blinds (sticks up a little to cover hand movement).  have had many birds walk right by them with no notice. I have never hunted out of a popup tent style. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 11:13:18 PM »
I missed that he was putting out food...

I believe it will vary by state, but I believe that it is considered baiting from 10-30 days after the COMPLETE REMOVAL of food... 

That is not 10-30 days after putting the food out, that is 10-30 days after ALL TRACES of the food have been depleted or removed...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:17 PM »
Correct Marc.  In Florida, 2 weeks after the last stitch of seed is gone.  Or 100 yards away (both bird and hunter must be over 100 yards from feed).
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
I’ve set a blind in a wide open field in the dark and had birds fly of the roost right to the blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »
It's never made a difference as far as that it is there, (as long as no motion, turkey don't care) have it staked down so it's not "moving" and then be sure to have it blacked out behind you, and watch for sunshine coming in the front, will light you up and motion. Last thing is making sure you are not seen from a side view, if bird can see motion in view of open window and you pass through that view (gun, bow or you) they can pick it out and spook.

MK M GOBL

Offline CAPTJJ

• Rod Bender Charters
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 09:23:38 PM »
I have bowhunted turkeys in several states, with and without a blind. While they usually don't seem to mind the sight of a blind, especially near home in NY where I had one rubbing against the blind while strutting before I shot him at 5 yards. I have had them avoid a blind in public land in NE and KS, plus both public and private in FL.

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 10:19:26 PM »
From what I know no they don't care. I've got a buddy in a wheelchair who hunts almost exclusively from a blind and birds will walk right next to it. If the blind is black on the inside wear black to blend in and keep as many windows closed as possible. Birds can still pick up movement inside a blind.