OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Heated Vest  (Read 4559 times)

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Heated Vest
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2020, 12:01:30 PM »
I know a friend of mine got some thermacell foot warmers that he really likes and highly recommended also.
Don't know if they make anything else like vests or jackets.

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 02:09:29 AM »
Don't know about a heated vest, but back when I used to hunt in NY during the winter, I used the ThermaCarel wrap that you use on your lower back. I was always taught that if you keep your core warm, the rest of your body will stay warm. It works and is cheap too

Offline rakkin6

• Longbeard
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 03:36:52 AM »
I have used these before and trust me it will warm you right up. Especially since it covers lower back and kidneys area. You may get hot. Not bulky and stick pretty good to the skin.

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/thermacare-advanced-lower-back-&-hip-pain-therapy-heatwraps/ID=prod5934384-product
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 05:11:57 PM »
I hunt north  Florida. If any of y'all come across and air conditioned one, please let  me know. :you_rock:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »
Update: I looked at a couple of different models but found the e-wool to be more of what I had in mind. The material is soft and quiet. It heats very fast on high (just what I need  if I start to get hypothermic). It is very comfortable when on med and low. Battery lasts about 8 hours on low and 4 on high. It is also stylish, color is black and can be worn about town. I don't wear camo in town. I have worn it when its in the thirty's and windy and it really knocks the chill off. I especally like the heated collar and think it will be awesome during long sits in deer season.

Despite having this vest I will still dress in layers over a good base layer along with warm socks and boots. I will still carry a lighter and fire starter and my thermal blanket. I will continue to hunt as far in the back country as possibe. I will also carry a small stove for extra heat and a warm drink.

Appreaciate eveyones feedback and great ideas.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 09:05:26 PM »
Update: I looked at a couple of different models but found the e-wool to be more of what I had in mind. The material is soft and quiet. It heats very fast on high (just what I need  if I start to get hypothermic). It is very comfortable when on med and low. Battery lasts about 8 hours on low and 4 on high. It is also stylish, color is black and can be worn about town. I don't wear camo in town. I have worn it when its in the thirty's and windy and it really knocks the chill off. I especally like the heated collar and think it will be awesome during long sits in deer season.

Despite having this vest I will still dress in layers over a good base layer along with warm socks and boots. I will still carry a lighter and fire starter and my thermal blanket. I will continue to hunt as far in the back country as possibe. I will also carry a small stove for extra heat and a warm drink.

So by the name e-wool I am guessing it is wool?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline hootgobbleyelpgobble

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2020, 10:05:47 AM »
As someone who just finished 4 years of chemo, I can tell you I get cold as hell at times too! And I am only a 35yo spring chicken too. What I have done to combat this is to dress in layers always if it is cooler then 55 degrees. You can always take a layer off and put in your vest as the day warms up, plus it adds as a cushion when leaning against a tree.

Our opener in SC was this past Sunday and I was way under dressed for the wind. I couldn't hunt the best spots due to the being in the wind and had to hunt in some valleys.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »

Good question. I could find nothing on the vest or the website indicating what material the vest is made from as the website only states from the finest materials. I have emailed the company for clarification.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2020, 01:53:43 AM »

Good question. I could find nothing on the vest or the website indicating what material the vest is made from as the website only states from the finest materials. I have emailed the company for clarification.
Please let me know, I would like to get one but I am allergic to wool.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline tlh2865

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2020, 10:35:29 AM »
My mother and wife both have Ororo heated vests that they swear work great. Both are cold natured but I dont think they have tested them in very cold weather for long periods of not moving

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2020, 11:47:27 PM »
As someone who just finished 4 years of chemo, I can tell you I get cold as hell at times too! And I am only a 35yo spring chicken too. What I have done to combat this is to dress in layers always if it is cooler then 55 degrees. You can always take a layer off and put in your vest as the day warms up, plus it adds as a cushion when leaning against a tree.

Our opener in SC was this past Sunday and I was way under dressed for the wind. I couldn't hunt the best spots due to the being in the wind and had to hunt in some valleys.

Congratulations on your successful chemo!

Maintaining your core temperature is the high priority. The colder you get the faster your body starts to shut down. The vest is one of several ways to prevent this: so is layering, hot fluids, fire and moveing around. The last thing you want is cold blood being dumped into your core from your peripherally . Thats the appeal to me is having supplemental heat. I have not fully tested my vest as I just got it but will fully test this fall. I will also be using Merino wool as a base layer.

Plus I think the vest will just make it easier to get out of bed. Going from a warm bed out into sub teens seems to get harder every year.