OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Alps Grandslam frame  (Read 1780 times)

Online Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
Alps Grandslam frame
« on: March 25, 2020, 07:12:29 AM »
Does anyone actually use the kickstand, or do you take it out?

Trying one this year. Couple things Im not use to so far is, Its tuff to grab the seat and flip it back up, (The legs seem to be in the way.) When sitting you seemed to be locked in one direction. You cant pivot and move. You almost need to take the straps off your shoulder so your mobile at bottom of tree.

It is comfortable, Im thinking of removing the frame and only using it on trips where there is limited cover.

Thoughts on the frame use?

rdjustham

Re: Alps Grandslam frame
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 07:36:16 AM »
This will be my second season using mine.  I took the frame out when i got it and have never used it.  The seat magnets are not strong enough in my opinion and using the straps can be a pain.  Overall i like the vest, the seat is the weak link.  There are a couple people on the forum who have done the speed seat mod, i just slip it off to hook the seat up.

Online Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 07:38:50 AM »
I'm also working on a seat mod that is different from the other posters. Looks promising.

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 07:41:07 AM »
I just got one the other day and used it right away on a youth hunt with my son. As soon as I got back to the truck I took the frame off. Unfortunately even without the frame the seat is still basically impossible for me to re attach when I stand back up. I’m going to look into the speed seat mod thing. I think they switched the buckles around on the latest model and I’m not sure if anyone has moded the newest version of the grand slam yet or not. Would love to see some ideas. I was actually thinking of starting a thread just for mods people have done to their vest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 06:18:25 PM »
I took the frame off of mine. The very first day I field tested it I took the frame off. In all honesty it’s not worth the trouble. By that I means it’s an awesome vest, but the frame isn’t worth keeping in there in my opinion.

Your right it does construct your movement. You can’t even really position the gun right with the vest on.

So the alternative is to simply unhook the vest when your posted up against a tree. Isn’t exactly always an option though.

When the frame is out you can in fact move exactly how you normally could.

So all in all... what I’m saying is... I have taken the frame out of the vest, I’m keeping it I’m truck in the case that I find myself in an area that potentially would benefit from having the frame. And I also plan to do the seat mod as well.

Because yea the seat thing isn’t the best.

Offline ejhandler

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 01:54:35 PM »
Regarding the new vest with the buckle/clip mounted right on the seat, here's what I did to make a speed seat... took the male clip off the existing strap and stitched a piece of elastic right to the existing strap up near the vest.  Slid the male buckle on to the elastic strap, clip back on to seat, now you have a speed seat.  You could cut the existing strap off if you want, I left it in case I ever wanted to go back.  I have also heard of guys sewing extra magnets into the seat and game bag to make a stronger connection there.

Online Upfold99

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 02:14:58 PM »
I like it...

Offline ejhandler

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 02:25:35 PM »
To add... I took the frame out of mine.  This seat mod doesn't work very well with the frame in.