OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Alcohol and cleaning  (Read 1742 times)

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
Alcohol and cleaning
« on: March 31, 2020, 12:02:43 AM »
What all pot surfaces do you clean with an alcohol wipe? I carry a Halloran crystal mistress, slate and ceramic with me.

Offline goblr77

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Alcohol and cleaning
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 09:04:14 AM »
I only clean ceramic and aluminum with alcohol wipes.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »
I only clean ceramic and aluminum with alcohol wipes.
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 11:49:33 AM »
Yep, aluminum only in my case. I didn`t before, but now that I do I find it really makes a positive difference both for the call and strikers.

Offline RiverRoost

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 02:23:18 PM »
So you can wipe the tip of the striker too? How do you clean slate if it looks like it’s got a finger print or some sort of spot on it

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
So you can wipe the tip of the striker too? How do you clean slate if it looks like it’s got a finger print or some sort of spot on it
I wouldn’t. I carry fine grit sandpaper size of palm. Place in plan and lightly twist once or twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »
Use a piece of scotch Brite for your slate and striker tips , no sandpaper ... back and forth east and west.. play downward on the slate top to bottom direction ...

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »
Alcohol for aluminum and ceramic
Maroon scotchbrite for wood strikers
Green/maroon scotchbrite for slate

Offline Buckrub

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 07:56:38 AM »
Use a piece of scotch Brite for your slate and striker tips , no sandpaper ... back and forth east and west.. play downward on the slate top to bottom direction ...
I always stroke the Scotch Brite in one direction, not back and forth, which will fill the ridges with the dust from the first stroke !!! Also, I always carry a small ziplock bag with a cotton ball soaked in alcohol to clean my aluminum/ceramic surfaces while hunting.

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 10:10:04 PM »

Sorry , no, didn’t mean that impression! Alcohol pad is for the aluminum call after conditioning to get the aluminum dust off of the surface . Maroon scotchbrite for the strikers. They do stay cleaner if you clean the call surface though.