OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Lefty Semi  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Lefty Semi
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 07:05:06 PM »
Wow, that is great. You should be proud, best looking set of Benelli I have seen. I also got lucky and bought an original SBE in the 90’s when they came out. It is a Heckler Koch Benelli. It has a Satin Finsh Walnut Stock, and a Satin type factory Black/ Blued finish. The gun patterns great, I use it for waterfowl. I use my camo Steady grip SBE with a 24 inch barrel for Turkey. Thanks for sharing the stories on your fantastic turkey guns. Be well, good luck this season my friend.
“Solo hunter”

Offline njt124

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
If I wanted to go with a Burris FF or a Vortex Venom who makes the best low pro mount?

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 09:44:51 AM »
I have seen good feedback on Sumtoys mounts. Worth a try....this forum has accurate info....
“Solo hunter”

Offline Elmerfudd

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 10:23:23 AM »
Sumtoy definitely. It’s quite a bit lower than using a rail section and looks really clean. The only other thing that low is the Burris 336 mount and it’s hole pattern etc can be a PITA. Go with the sumtoy.

As an aside that Scalarworks mount on my 12 ga is only available for Benelli and Mossberg and only with the Trijicon footprint so no Burris or Vortex options from them. It is maybe the strongest mount I have ever seen and is even a bit lower than the Sumtoy. Priced like it too. You can buy a Sumtoy mount and a choke tube from them for less than the Scalarworks mount alone.

Offline njt124

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 10:39:30 AM »
Awesome thank you!  Any preference to the venom or FF 2 or 3?  Or other options in that price range I am overlooking?

rdjustham

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »
Ive got an SBE2 with steady grip and run a vortex venom on a sumtoy mount with sumtoy's .650 choke. 

Offline Elmerfudd

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2020, 03:08:01 PM »
I’ own an FF 2 and 3. The 3 is the better unit. Smaller 3 minute dot and lets you choose auto brightness plus high med and low. I’ve never needed to run it on anything other than auto but it’s personal pref for sure. I’ve not owned a vortex but it has more range of adjustment but no auto function. I suspect that any of them will serve you well. The FF2 is auto brightness only and a 4 min dot. My only complaint with the 2 is that it has locking screws for the elevation and windage adjustments. You loosen the 2 screws, adjust zero and then lock them back down. I found that the act of locking them down can change your poi slightly. The solution is to only loosen the lock screws just enough to move the dot. Then gently tighten a bit but don’t turn them down hard. Bit of a pain in the rear. Neither ever cost me a bird.

Lots of choices out there now at a big spread in price. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Burris. They are bulletproof and I wish I could add up how many turkeys Ive killed with mine. Just in the interest of tinkering I bought a Holosun 507c this year and a SwampFox. Both of those have the dot surrounded by a larger circle and I thought it might be faster for target acquisition plus I wanted to try green light vs red. Both of these are excellent so far on pattern board. Will see how they hunt. Both of these brands use the Trijicon RMR footprint. The Burris and Vortex share the same Burris footprint. Sumtoy has bases for both.

If economy doesn’t matter the Trijicon SRO is absolutely the nicest I ever looked thru. Crazy clear glass and a perfect little dot.

Offline njt124

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 10:03:49 AM »
Great info thank you, I called Sumtoy and am going to go with their package for the SBE2 for the mount and fast fire 3......now all I need is a choke and ammo combo.....any recommendations there?

Offline njt124

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 11:40:36 AM »
After some research seems like a rob Robert's in .655 is a great option to start

Offline Elmerfudd

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 01:19:24 PM »
If you are already ordering the mount from William at Sumtoy just go ahead and order a choke tube as well. VERY pleased with the one he sold me for my M2. He will point you in the right direction for your SBE2