turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spalted Maple

Started by sugarray, February 12, 2011, 06:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

Just wanted to check again, my FIL has a lot of maple that he cuts for firewood.  He uses anything in his outdoor woodburner.  He currently has one that we cut back in the early fall or late summer. 

Would it be beneficial to a local call maker, or any on here to try to cover it like Bonjour said and try to get some spalting out of it?  I'm not looking to sell it, but if someone could use it, then I'll give it a try and see what it looks like.  I'll give it away if my FIL will let me.

West Augusta, interested in it for strikers?  Just trying to put it to good use instead of just burning it.

Bonjour

I'm sure if you can get it good and spalted, you won't have any problem getting rid of it. I myself would give it a whirl for you. I think spalted maple is one of the prettiest woods there is.  :you_rock:

eemer

Heck yea, that's a great way to Spalt Maple.  Make sure it's good hard Sugar Maple and it will turn out fine.

Maple, spalted or not make a great striker!  I love to work with the stuff! 

Maple so plentiful up here in Vermont, one would swear that it grows on Trees..........LOL!   :toothy12:
Vermont Tom-Taker Turkey Calls!

sugarray

Well, there was no spalting according to my FIL, so it went into the fire.  We have a lot here in WV too.

eemer

Oh well, that's how it goes sometimes!

What part of WV ya at.  My dad's place in PA is close to Cameron & Hundred.   Morgantown is only about a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes away.
Vermont Tom-Taker Turkey Calls!

sugarray

I'm in Buckhannon, right in the middle.  An hour or hour ten south of Morgantown.