turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Double Sider Combos?

Started by raven105, March 25, 2020, 10:37:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raven105

If you could only have one or two double sided pots, what would they be?  Who makes it and what are your favorite wood/surface combos? 

tracker#1

Pat Strawers "blue deuce", it's a glass and killer...

PEte_A

Quote from: tracker#1 on March 26, 2020, 08:49:52 AM
Pat Strawers "blue deuce", it's a glass and killer...

Yep. Had a few 2 siders and this is the one I hunt

BTH

Blackstone African mahogany crystal over glass with the slate in the bottom.
I also liked Daryl Slaton's stoned aluminum over glass with the slate in the bottom in a cherry pot. 
Phil 4:13

HookedonHooks

Pat Strawser is known for his "Deuce" series of calls, and he does them typically in glass over glass with backside slate, but also does a good few anodized aluminum over glass with backside slate.

Brad Roberts also makes about as good of one as they come. My personal favorite from him is a Cedar green slate over aluminum with backside slate, but he's won awards with his glass calls with backside slate, as well as aluminum with backside slate. Can't go wrong with any from him.

Bill Lyman makes his "Deadly Double" in a variety of surfaces, and all I have played or owned have been very strong.

Clint Corder makes a two sider that may be better than any other, he had some ceramic over glass with backside slate at Nashville that were next level in my opinion, but he's typically done glass two siders if you can find one second hand.

Paul Platz makes another that's as good as they come. Won DD Adams with his glass over aluminum over slate last year. Good luck finding one though.

The only problem with this list of guys I just gave, you'll have some trouble getting a call from any of them. Strawser will be hunting hard until seasons up and can be trouble to get ahold of in general, Roberts is currently not taking orders, Lyman is currently not taking orders, Corder is not taking orders, and Platz is also not taking orders. I'd keep an eye out for any of these five makers through the classifieds and jump on one that catches your eye. It's really gonna boil down to what you prefer more for your topside surface, aluminum or glass typically, but any combo can be made, and from those five guys they will not disappoint no matter what you end up with.

outdoors

I have one from from a good person that's no longer with us 
Cedar pot ceramic over slate / slate really nasty and can play very softly
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

MDTOM84

I just got this one and it is by far the best pot I own. Finding one is going to be really hard. It's the same combo as Paul's DD Adams award winning pot, crystal over aluminum with slate on the back

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

7shooter

David Halloran Sugartown Sweetness. I like the old Robert's brothers field grade also.

Beards and Hooks

I only have just 1 and got it from Mark Cunningham or Footballer on here and love it, the birds still have to hear it though.

raven105

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 26, 2020, 09:32:54 AM
I just got this one and it is by far the best pot I own. Finding one is going to be really hard. It's the same combo as Paul's DD Adams award winning pot, crystal over aluminum with slate on the back

Fine looking pot. Can I have it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeytider

Enticer ( Al Holbert ) Aluminum Thunder. All weather, raw aluminum on one side in a corian pot. Turn the pot over, rough up a spot with scotchbrite. Very nice SOFT clucks, purrs and yelps.

PEte_A

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 26, 2020, 09:32:54 AM

TJ - that is a thing of beauty!!!

jordanz7935

Blackstone makes some really good 2 siders. I have a glass over glass with slate on the back in cherry pot, it's a great "meat" call that is in my vest every day.

PEte_A

Quote from: jordanz7935 on March 28, 2020, 01:06:09 PM
Blackstone makes some really good 2 siders. I have a glass over glass with slate on the back in cherry pot, it's a great "meat" call that is in my vest every day.

This is a good pot for sure

SteelCityArcher

"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.