OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Call Modification Suggestions  (Read 2656 times)

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Call Modification Suggestions
« on: March 17, 2020, 08:19:25 AM »
Suggested hints on modifying the clipped-wing, V-cut type call:
This call design is becoming one of my favorites.  Two ways of improving the sound quality if your initial design isn't quite right (or if you buy this call design and it is not sounding the way you want it to):
1)  shaving the clipped edges down in very small increments can greatly improve the roll-over, pitch, and tonal quality,...as well as the ease of controlling volume of the call.  I have found that the amount of secondary reed exposure you end up with when clipping is important. 
2)  deepening the V-cut (one or both sides,...also in very small increments) will generally increase rasp.

...Just a couple of suggestions for those who might be trying this call design.... 

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
Re: Call Modification Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 08:51:48 PM »
Suggested hints on modifying the clipped-wing, V-cut type call:
This call design is becoming one of my favorites.  Two ways of improving the sound quality if your initial design isn't quite right (or if you buy this call design and it is not sounding the way you want it to):
1)  shaving the clipped edges down in very small increments can greatly improve the roll-over, pitch, and tonal quality,...as well as the ease of controlling volume of the call.  I have found that the amount of secondary reed exposure you end up with when clipping is important. 
2)  deepening the V-cut (one or both sides,...also in very small increments) will generally increase rasp.

...Just a couple of suggestions for those who might be trying this call design....
I built a few tonight, clipping the wings really brought the call to life. These are close, but not perfect.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline HILBY72

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 02:24:09 AM »
I build two V Cut.... one all latex with both wings clipped and the other 2 latex over 1 proph with just the right wing clipped. The all Latex is a deeper cut and I did experiment like you said. But there is a huge difference by clipping the wings!!

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 04:48:41 PM »
I used the woodhaven energy for thr last 3 or 4 years and its a deep v with the wings trimmed.  Love the call but every one is different.  So I made my own and iv made a couple good ones but not consistently getting them right.  But itl probably come with practice
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 08:28:40 PM »
I used the woodhaven energy for thr last 3 or 4 years and its a deep v with the wings trimmed.  Love the call but every one is different.  So I made my own and iv made a couple good ones but not consistently getting them right.  But itl probably come with practice

Some folks say they can make the same calls time after time that are very consistent in sound.  I can't do that myself with the method of call-making I use. And although I haven't bought calls from anybody in quite a while, my experience was like you say,..."every one is different". 

The good thing about making them ourselves, though, is that instead of costing $5 to $10 (or more) per call, they cost less than a dollar.  You can mess up a few with that kind of savings and still come out waaayyy ahead! :)

Offline Shady valley birds

• The drummin is deafening
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:06:56 PM »
I agree gobblenut those woodhaven calls I bought were roughly $13-$15 apiece.  And I'd get 2 a year but both look identical but sounds completely different.  Def saving money doing it myself but I'm mainly doing it for the satisfaction of calling in and killing a bird with my own call. That will feel awesome I'm sure
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.