OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: General Questions  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

General Questions
« on: March 21, 2020, 12:03:40 PM »
I’m not sure if this topic has been covered or not, but I figured it would be good to post it up.
I have been playing around with different glues as well as tinkering with pedestal sizes (not distance from calling surface to sound board) and calling surface ledge sizes.
Have you guys noticed a big difference in sound when you change the calling surface ledge size?  If so, how?
Have you guys noticed a big difference in sound when you change the pedestal sizes?  If so, how?

Another big one that I am fighting now (it may be just me) is clamping pressure.    Do you guys clamp down your sound boards and allow time to dry?  Do y’all clamp up the calling surface and allow to dry?
If you are using clamps, what type of clamps are you using?

Thank you guys.
Josh

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
Re: General Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 01:25:52 PM »
There is a difference to sound with , to all the questions you have ask 
Takes notes  too every change you make  about all I can say
You will get a different sound too different glues used
But some glue don't LAST
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 10:33:46 PM »
on the surface ledge I think the wider u make it from what I call it it makes a tighter running call have start running call father from out side edge ,,, the smaller u make it seems make a losser running call ,, and its more do with space around the sound board in general u want that space be 3 1/4 in for losser running call that gives 1/8 around sound board and 1/8 for your surface sit on but then its all in sound u want ,,

I always used thin pedestal may be 1 1/8 round    think it gives raspier sound less contact with sound board surface ,,, amd depending on surface and sound I want 1/8 high to 1/4

glues not sure always used goop or e6000 

I don't clamp I try stay contestant bead of glue and give surface 1/4 turn I use 2in round steel stock for weights probly 1 1/2 lbs sit for 12 hours sound board and 24 hours for play surface I sit mine on small wood slats so not blocking air movement for glue dry   and never run a call before time is up       
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 11:09:51 PM »
That is solid info Mike.
I have never thought about the spacers under the call to allow air in and let glue dry.
I am also going to mess around with sound board diameters to see what happens.

I am guilty of running a call before time is up, but I ALWAYS end up regretting it.  I can’t seem to learn my lessons like normal folks, I need to get burned 10-20 times to learn!!

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 11:17:22 PM »
There is a difference to sound with , to all the questions you have ask 
Takes notes  too every change you make  about all I can say
You will get a different sound too different glues used
But some glue don't LAST

This is absolutely true.
I have used some glues that sounded great within a week of glue up, and then they fell off hard.
I have tried many different types of glue and glue up techniques trying to find what fits my calls.
I am getting somewhere, but EVERYTHING AFFECTS EVERYTHING, for sure.  Consistency seems to be the magic ticket here...
thank you for your input!!

Offline DerekDixon

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 12:57:30 PM »
I have been using the 3.5 inch nylon spring clamps from harbor freight for awhile now, they seem to be pretty consistent. I will tell you something I have run into with the glue, have been using e6000, have had some calls that sounded dead twirls the end of the tube of glue that was with the big tubes, have been using the the smaller tubes and haven’t ran into the issue yet

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 12:54:04 AM »
Derek,
I tried those style clamps, but i found they were trying to twist on my pretty bad. 
I ended up finding that these style clamps work the best, but they are very expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Kant-Twist-Throat-Opening-Sizes/dp/B00AI7M1FM?th=1

These clamps will hold up to 2,000 pounds, but i dont get anywhere near that!!
I do use some clamping fixtures i machined to help keep the sound boards centered, and that also keeps me from clamping directly on the sound board.  These fixtures also spread the load of clamping across the entirety of the pedestal which helps a lot with glue spread.
I will look into the spring style clamps again and run a test because i need more clamps for sure.

speaking on the glue and shelf life...
I have noticed the same myself with nearly any glue i have used.  in the big scheme of things, the price of a new tube of glue is minuscule compared to the labor and materials we have in these pot calls.

Thank you for your input Derek!