OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

choice of box calls

Started by bwromine, March 24, 2020, 10:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: wchadw on April 03, 2020, 11:04:14 AM
Quote from: wchadw on April 03, 2020, 11:00:53 AM
TJ johnson is making some of the best box calls going right now.  $200 price range.

sorry, missed less expensive...  if you are close enough go see Lonnie Marbry.  i think he sells his boxes for $40? 50$?
Lonnies boxes are 75 both long and short, his pots are 30 I believe it is still with two strikers.

TauntoHawk

SS field grade or spring creek is where I'd start over a box store sold box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dzsmith

spring creek calls are affordable and easy to run. not to say the choices you mentioned aren't good ones, but I personally having used every call you mentioned would give the advantage to spring creek. You could go the custom call route...but you do not always get what you pay for , and I hate to say that. There seems to be a standardized price range on custom calls these days since everybody and there mother makes them. Most will be good....but not all some being simply cosmetic. Id definetly go with a short box. Long boxes have their purpose, but if you plan on using a box fairly regularly id stick with a short.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Turkeytider

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 04, 2020, 06:54:04 PM
SS field grade or spring creek is where I'd start over a box store sold box.

Do Josh and Al still sell their Field Grade calls? I may have missed it but I didn`t see them on their web site. Absolutely one of the very best deals out there for quality vs. price IMO.

TauntoHawk

Yeah I'm not sure maybe if you requested an uncheckered box. I've had several of their boxes most being field grade and they are always some of the best sound/dollar value out there. I have a yellowheart/mineral poplar screamer I'll never part with.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

milertyme03

I got a Jeff White bloodwood over butternut had 4 mature birds gobbling and yelping trying to find me while running it sat on a youth hunt.  Carries really well in the woods.  I think his are affordable for what you are getting.

milertyme03

I can gobble pretty well on it too.